Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Interpret alignment help?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interpret alignment help?

Went to get jeep aligned today as Im having the front gussets put on soon. They said it's to far out to complete. I was told I need adjustable ball joints and adjustable control arms before they can finish. Also the driver side tie-rod sleeve is frozen and cannot be adjusted. This is what the print out says. Any advice as to what I really need? Maybe ball joints that adjust but control arms also?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130301_171937.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	428355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130301_171944.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	428356  
Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't actually look too bad. The chamber can't be adjusted as is. The LCA's will fix your caster. Should be a little higher in the 4.5* - 5* range. With the low caster you may get a flighty feeling on the highway. Other then that just adjusting the toe in for the rear and that's all.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Former Vendor

Agreed. That doesn't look bad at all aside from the caster. Adjustable control arms for the caster, yes. Adjustable ball joints for camber, NO!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys. Should I invest in front lower? upper? or rear control arms? It does get a little flighty at highway speeds but nothing crazy. If a set of arms would help may be worth it.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front lower is what most do. It's easier to install them than the front uppers which require cutting a bolt.

I installed mine with jeep on the ground by myself. Took maybe 30 minutes. Just have a long screwdriver to use as A lever to help align the mounting holes and only remove one stock control arm at a time.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I purchased a set of lower adjustable control arms. From what I've read I need to shorten (?) these as compared to stock to raise my castor. Is this correct? Anyone know a good length to use as a starting point?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Lowers get lengthened to increase caster. Uppers are the ones that get shortened.

Put an angle finder on the bottom of your C and lengthen them until you degrees (caster) is where you want it. I would measure your stock arms and go a little longer and see where you are. I think mine are 23" but could be wrong. It will be different for most.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Last edited by shockwaveaz; 03-14-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
It doesn't actually look too bad. The chamber can't be adjusted as is. The LCA's will fix your caster. Should be a little higher in the 4.5* - 5* range. With the low caster you may get a flighty feeling on the highway. Other then that just adjusting the toe in for the rear and that's all.
So the rear toe needs to come in also? they said it was good. Im trying to determine if I need to lengthen or shorten my lower control arms to get castor where it should be? A search says to do both!? So Im left still confused
Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PUSHNF8
So the rear toe needs to come in also? they said it was good. Im trying to determine if I need to lengthen or shorten my lower control arms to get castor where it should be? A search says to do both!? So Im left still confused
Lengthen

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guessing you have stock ball joints? Replacing them with good aftermarkets will most likely get your camber back in line but it's not that far off to begin with really. Synergy, Dynatracs, etc.. Nothing offset, just stock replacements. Then get another alignment so you have a fresh starting point with the new joints installed.

If still needed, LCAs will get your caster in line. Put an angle finder on the flat spot on top of your pinion. It's a larger surface, easier to read, etc. The angle that shows there doesn't matter, just make a note of it. Now, start with your LCAs about 1/4" longer than your stock and install. Check your angle finder and note the difference. Add the difference to what your alignment caster angle shows and that's now your new caster angle. You're shooting for about 4.5 degrees. Not sure which LCAs you're using but on RKs, 1 turn = .5 degree.

If you have larger tires, I would even increase your toe in to an 1/8" which will show a bit too much on the alignment readout, but more desireable.

Last edited by fredrok; 03-17-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Interpret alignment help?