Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Intermittent Death Wobble

Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Have you cheek your toe , I went from 35's to 37' and got the DW tracked it down to my toe being off don't know how it happen but it did
I was told it was set at 0 degrees with my aftermarket wheels & tires(33's). I don't believe that it ever got changed when i put on my factory wheels & tires back on.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

I find it hard to believe that with only a 2.5" lift that it is anything major.. It comes down to diagnosing a faulty part that can't be visually seen. I am going to forward Planman's Death Wobble check list to the place that has my JK.. From what I read the trackbar may be a key part to look at right away.

This site is amazing!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The clips have nothing to do with it. Two things really cause wobble. A loose track bar, and a poor alignment. All the other "issues" or culprits are just symptoms of the problem, much like a cold. You get sneezes,runny nose and coughing from allergy's, but the are part of the whole problem. There are many vehicles that drive just fine with no steering stabilizers and plenty of rotor clips. Remove both trackbar bolts and make sure the holes are not ovalized. Even a 16th of inch is enough to cause minor wobble. If there is any ovalizing have a shop weld on a thick metal washer to the mounting hole and retorque to proper specs. I have seen this before personally. The alignment is the other thing. I unfortunately dealt with a bad alignment. Make sure they use lasers and computer guidance to adjust. No tape measure! They should be able to tell you what it is when they start and after they are finished.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKcondrey
The clips have nothing to do with it. Two things really cause wobble. A loose track bar, and a poor alignment. All the other "issues" or culprits are just symptoms of the problem, much like a cold. You get sneezes,runny nose and coughing from allergy's, but the are part of the whole problem. There are many vehicles that drive just fine with no steering stabilizers and plenty of rotor clips. Remove both trackbar bolts and make sure the holes are not ovalized. Even a 16th of inch is enough to cause minor wobble. If there is any ovalizing have a shop weld on a thick metal washer to the mounting hole and retorque to proper specs. I have seen this before personally. The alignment is the other thing. I unfortunately dealt with a bad alignment. Make sure they use lasers and computer guidance to adjust. No tape measure! They should be able to tell you what it is when they start and after they are finished.
Great right up and explination.. I will definitely bring this up with the shop techs. I really think the track bar has something to do with my situation. I will talk about the alignment too as I don't think they have a laser guided set up.

Thanks again for the advise!!

Quick Reply: Intermittent Death Wobble