Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Intermittent Death Wobble

Old 11-19-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Death Wobble

History:
Bought the Jeep and it drove perfectly! After 2.5” Lift Kit(including springs and shocks) and aftermarket 15" Wheels & Tires(33’s) I got shimmy in steering at 48-55mph. After multiple balances, replaced ball joints, steering stabilizer and alignment bushings I still got the Shimmy. In an effort rule out the the aftermarket wheels & tires I bought as the problem we mounted up my factory wheels & tires and then I experienced Death Wobble for the 1st time. Borrowed a completely different set after market wheels & tires (35's) from a fellow Jeeper, it had zero shimmy and drove great at all speeds. Gave the 35's back and put the stockers back on and got freak'n Death Wobble again.. WTH? This is after all of the front end parts have been visually inspected and torqued to specs. Any ideas?

This is a very shortened version applying only what is relative to the problem but this is all over about a 4 month period of trying to figure this out.

Last edited by Pepperdine; 11-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
Were the lug retainer clips removed?

Have you read posts #1 and #2 of my DW thread? It is linked in my signature.
Yes the retainer clips were removed. I don't think they were put back on when the factory wheels & tires were reinstalled though. Something that small could do it? It did drive fine with the fellow Jeepers 35's.

I have read those threads. However, I am not working on the Jeep. I believe that the problems stems from the installer as it drove perfectly before all this started.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pepperdine
History:
Bought the Jeep and it drove perfectly! After 2.5” Lift Kit(including springs and shocks) and aftermarket 15" Wheels & Tires(33’s) I got shimmy in steering at 48-55mph. After multiple balances, replaced ball joints, steering stabilizer and alignment bushings I still got the Shimmy. In an effort rule out the the aftermarket wheels & tires I bought as the problem we mounted up my factory wheels & tires and then I experienced Death Wobble for the 1st time. Borrowed a completely different set after market wheels & tires (35's) from a fellow Jeeper, it had zero shimmy and drove great at all speeds. Gave the 35's back and put the stockers back on and got freak'n Death Wobble again.. WTH? This is after all of the front end parts have been visually inspected and torqued to specs. Any ideas?

This is a very shortened version applying only what is relative to the problem but this is all over about a 4 month period of trying to figure this out.

I know how frustrating a death wobble can be. I recently had a death wobble. Fortunately, I seem to have fixed it. I did several things to fix it, but I believe installing an new drag link flip kit and pitman arm was the solution. But, for the benefit of full disclosure, I also did a tire balance, rotation and alignment and retorqued the suspension.

I am very pleased that my death wobble is fixed and my JK has never driven better! I believe the drag link flip which raised the trackbar mounting 3" and restored my steering geometry close to factory design was the most significant step that fixed my death wobble problem.

I think that your problem is some how related to lifting your Jeep. That changed your steering geometry which has developed into a death wobble. These are my opinions, and Planman is certainly much more knowledgeable than I. But, I wanted to share with you what my experience was and how I resolved it.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bananas
I know how frustrating a death wobble can be. I recently had a death wobble. Fortunately, I seem to have fixed it. I did several things to fix it, but I believe installing an new drag link flip kit and pitman arm was the solution. But, for the benefit of full disclosure, I also did a tire balance, rotation and alignment and retorqued the suspension.

I am very pleased that my death wobble is fixed and my JK has never driven better! I believe the drag link flip which raised the trackbar mounting 3" and restored my steering geometry close to factory design was the most significant step that fixed my death wobble problem.

I think that your problem is some how related to lifting your Jeep. That changed your steering geometry which has developed into a death wobble. These are my opinions, and Planman is certainly much more knowledgeable than I. But, I wanted to share with you what my experience was and how I resolved it.

Good luck!
I will request that the drag link flip gets put down as an option to try... It is very frustrating and I am feeling discouraged but I know there is a fix and will continue to hold hope.

Glad you got your rig up and running again and thank you for your story plus suggestions! Still love my JK!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Neglecting to remove those clips would for sure cause a shimmy at speed.
Those clips are used by all manufacturers on all vehicles. I hardly doubt that failing to remove them on a Jeep Wrangler causes driving issues. Heck, if that's true then every ghetto Crown Vic turned pimp car would have all kinds of steering problems with those aftermarket Dubs on them.

Last edited by f2fast4u; 11-19-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Funny, I don't recall even seeing or knowing about those clips when I changed my stock wheels for my 35's on after market wheels. What are they even for?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubi3
What are they even for?
To hold the rotor on while you install the brake caliper... otherwise, the sucker wants to fall off the hub.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by f2fast4u
To hold the rotor on while you install the brake caliper... otherwise, the sucker wants to fall off the hub.
And keeping them on can be a problem? Is this proven or one of those where somebody heard that it could?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

I know that what I am experiencing has nothing to do with those retaining clips.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Have you cheek your toe , I went from 35's to 37' and got the DW tracked it down to my toe being off don't know how it happen but it did

Quick Reply: Intermittent Death Wobble