Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Interesting break this weekend

Old 09-13-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting break this weekend

Just passing this on as info and asking what options I have out there to address it. First off, I'm running the long travel OME kit from Northridge (AMAZING btw) and have a 2dr Rubi, Auto on 35" kevlar MT/R's. This weekend I had something interesting happen with regard to the sway bar on the rubi (e-disco). On flex, with the sway bar disconnected, it somehow got some forward motion to it and went past where it should have. When I started compressing again, it remained moving forward and got bent around the steering components in the front (see pic below).

I was thinking about this a bit, and I think it is probably a hard thing to actually pull off and requires some amount of timing + specific flexing to accomplish, but nevertheless I did. Am I correct in thinking that the combination of the sway bar + sway bar links essentially act as limiting straps for the e-disco rubi's? What are some sure fire ways to address this (without actually disconnecting the links)?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

yup, looks like you've over-extended your sway bar links. this is caused by having too much droop for the length links you have. more than likely, yours were set on the short side. optimally, they should have been set so that your sway bar arms were sitting at about 5° above level.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, WoL, makes sense. I thought I set them to pretty close to 5 degrees, but I'll double check that to ensure it before the next trip out...
Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by schnee
Thanks, WoL, makes sense. I thought I set them to pretty close to 5 degrees, but I'll double check that to ensure it before the next trip out...
well, if they were, it looks like the links need to be extended even longer. big droop is good to have and fortunately, you do have adjustable links to compensate for it.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had this happen - TeraFlex was kind enough to send me longer links and I have had not problems since. The vehicles over all handling is better with the longer links as well. Yes the sawybar ends are just higher then level.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me a while back. Suprised the heck out of me as well. Turns out the sway bar links were too short. Since I put some longer ones on, I havn't had any problem. The sway bar sits just over level now. Probably about 5 degrees or so.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

I also had the same issue on my Colorado trip. I placed a post on here asking about it. Teraflex read my post and sent me a new set of longer links at no cost. It happens with the short links.
Also Teraflex was awesome with their customer service. Replaced them with no questions asked.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

2X clap/clap for TeraFlex
Old 09-14-2009, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's nice to hear that Tera's customer support is so good. I'm debating lifts and this may make a difference.

Are they going to start sending longer links to compensate?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Schnee,

Give me a call when you get a chance so we can discuss this. I would like to get some measurments from you.

David

Quick Reply: Interesting break this weekend