Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Intercooler for Jeep

Old 05-18-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler for Jeep

Hey guys I am in cali where it is freaking hot! I was just wondering if anyone has found a way to get cold air to the Jeep. I was wondering if I could install an intercooler on the Jeep just by itself? or a new radiator or something. Any feedback would be great!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're wanting to cool the engine intake air? An intercooler is pointless on a naturally aspirated engine and would hurt performance.

About the only thing that you could do other then a cold air intake would be to ice down the intake. But that really isn't anything practical to do either. Drag racers use it as a trick to pick up a couple HP. But they're only going for a 1/4 mile at a time.

Last edited by GrassSeed JK; 05-18-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

An intercooler is for forced induction applications and serves no purpose on a NA engine. A true CAI is what you need if that's what you want but you'll be limiting the Jeeps ability by doing so. The filter would have to be somewhere outside of the engine bay where it's going to pull outside air instead of the heated air from the bay.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

As others have stated, this will not help. And to be honest, I don't know why you would need it even if it did work. I live in a hotter climate and have no issues at all. It was almost 90* outside yesterday.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how would a radiator get cold air to the jeep? I think you need to tell us what you are trying to achive better.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ElovesC
Hey guys I am in cali where it is freaking hot! I was just wondering if anyone has found a way to get cold air to the Jeep. I was wondering if I could install an intercooler on the Jeep just by itself? or a new radiator or something. Any feedback would be great!
I think what you mean is a cold air package and yes it will help

Back in the 60,s 62 63 Chrysler took the inner headlight out of a four head light system and ran duck to the aircleaner, calling it RAM AIR since then GM's cowl induction, and Ford,s coldpack were the trend setters.
Look to your drag guys for more info

OH stay away from water when you do this

107 today

Quick Reply: Intercooler for Jeep