Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Intake and Exhaust and preformance chip?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake and Exhaust and preformance chip?

There are so many different brands of these things does anybody have favorites? Does anybody have a flowmaster exhaust on there JK?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the mods and their order.

The intake will improve throttle response a bit, but your biggest gains will be in engine noise level and potential of ingesting water.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:11 AM
JK Junkie

With an automatic and 35s, gears are definitely where to start.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I did mind different. AirRaid cai, Gibsons duel exhaust and superchips programer. Could not be happier.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by viking
I did mind different. AirRaid cai, Gibsons duel exhaust and superchips programer. Could not be happier.
Totally different ball game with smaller tires, a manual transmission and 4.10 gears than the original poster. The gear set for your rig is totally in the sweet spot while the original posters is likely to be 4 available gear sets below ideal.

That said, the upgrades mentioned would make about the same amount of additional performance as a single step in the gear sets available.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I do agree gears are the way to go but alot of people on here think doing the 3 mods are a waste of time with this motor but it wakes this motor up. Unless you are a avid hard core rock climber and need gears and a hemi, haha,this mod is just fine.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Huge differences between what you can get away with on a manual transmission as compared to an automatic. With my upgrades, starting at a time where there was far less of knowledge base here, gear set recommendations were all over the board. This was primarily because people weren't asking the appropriate questions when there was a query. Then it elevated to the stock answer of 4.88s for a manual and 5.13s for an automatic. That still isn't right and that's what prompted me to make the gear charts that illustrate the vast differences.

4.10s on a manual are going to deliver the same performance as 5.13s on an automatic. So sitting back with my manual transmission and the performance add ons I did without new gears aren't even close to the driving experience someone is going to live through with an automatic.

Let's take the average upgraded JK with 35s and a middle set of stock 3.73 gears. With an automatic transmission and doing 70mph on the highway, the JK is making slightly over 50hp. OK, so now lets go out on a limb, add a CAI, an exhaust and a Flashpaq (which is a great performance add on) and at best you might be making an additional 10hp at the same speed, with 10hp being a real stretch at that rpm. Now lets drop a 5.13 gear set in the same rig and at the same speed you are making over 80hp, an addition of 30 hp.

Quite simply, you just flat out can't get the same power to the ground with a prrogrammer, intake and exhaust upgrades.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
I love reading the wealth of your knowledge
Yes.....he should write a book and get rich...!!!.........lol
Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

i did gibosn dual then superchips and i em very happy i will get a cai too b/c i will not be near any water when i move to arizona
Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I did Airaid intake & throttle body spacer,MBRP exhaust
Superchips programmer very noticeable difference...Not
disappointed at all...Would recommend anytime...

Quick Reply: Intake and Exhaust and preformance chip?