Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Intake ?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake ?

I may eventualy pull the trigger on an afe intake. The question I had is whats the difference bewteen the dry filter one and the oil based one? I know the oil based one requires oiling at a certain number of miles but thats all I know. Is one any better than the other in terms of peformance, maintanence and longevity? Thanks

2012 JEEP WRANGLER SPORT Parts and Accessories - SummitRacing.com
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of people don't like oiled air filters. If they are overoiled, the excess oil can cause issues with the mass airflow sensor.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An oil based filter can definitely cause MAF (Mass Aif Flow) issues. A dry filter may not flow as much but it will not ruin your MAF either.

Dry is the way to go IMO.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oiled is the way to go.

Better air flow
More effective

Definately be careful when cleaning the filter. K&N sells a kit that I bought 3 years ago and still have some left. You spray on the solution let it sit for 10 mins and rinse. Leave it out in the sun to dry completely and lightly spray the oil on, just enough to see a change in color on the filter will do it ,any more and you'll do more harm than good. I prefer oiled filters but up to you dry filters are usually not reusable because they are made of paper vice cotton.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

go with the oiled. been using KN drop in for 5 years with not least bit of problem with the maf. pull it each time you change oil and clean it, oil it and put it back in. garenteed for 1 million miles. you cant beat that with a stick. Recharge kit is 10.95. Never counted but Im guessing I get probably 6 to 8 cleanings/reoils with one kit. I always buy two just incase the price goes up but it hasnt yet. Initial cost of drop in filter is 50 bucks. One time cost. Weigh the cost of a CAI
kit of around 200 against the small benefit{if any} you will notice and I think you will agree you can use the extra 150 on another mod. With the KN drop in I got around 3 miles to gallon more. I cant talk to added horsepower or torque because I never got that measured but Im guessing it is minimal at best. I am running a 08 JKU with the 3.8 so I cant talk direct to the pentastar but i cant see where a CAI on it would be cost effective either. I think a CAI is cost effective on the JKUs only with associated mods and then probably not that much for the regular guy.
Best of luck and enjoy your jeep. Cant beat them.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Canibeat
Oiled is the way to go.

Better air flow
More effective

Definately be careful when cleaning the filter. K&N sells a kit that I bought 3 years ago and still have some left. You spray on the solution let it sit for 10 mins and rinse. Leave it out in the sun to dry completely and lightly spray the oil on, just enough to see a change in color on the filter will do it ,any more and you'll do more harm than good. I prefer oiled filters but up to you dry filters are usually not reusable because they are made of paper vice cotton.
X2 on the oil. Most of the problems you hear about with oiled filters and mass air flow sensors are from people who don't oil them properly. Follow the directions when cleaning, apply a light coat of oil, and let it dry thoroughly before reinstalling
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 12jks with a k&n oiled drop in filter works like a champ and definitely noticed a difference... I will eventually get a snorkel which is why i just did drop in instead of CAI, I didn't want to risk hydrolock... Its a relatively inexpensive mod that gives you the same performance as a CAI... I did notice that the benefits were not immediately noticeable, seemed the computer was adjusting things for a bit... I guess ?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow great responses thanks guys having second thoughts on the afe intake however. i was told a poly tube will be the way to go so im thinking either the banks, volant or airaid intake.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

AFE on my 2012 with the pro guard 7 oiled filter, this thing is great as long as you don't plan to play in the water. Go oiled! Also i highly recommend the prefilter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1501033757.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	393697  
Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
Wow great responses thanks guys having second thoughts on the afe intake however. i was told a poly tube will be the way to go so im thinking either the banks, volant or airaid intake.
poly is the way to go if you do it. doesnt heat up as much as the metal that is why poly is
suggested. whole idea is to get as much clean cold air as possible. good luck.

Quick Reply: Intake ?