Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing Transfer Case Questions

Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Transfer Case Questions

I'm going to start converting my 4x2 into 4x4 soon and plan to do it in stages, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to handle drivetrain and plan to have a shop do it, but have a few questions. I figured I would start with the transfer case then go rear axle, then front axle.

Is it safe for the vehicle and the transfer case to not have a front axle/driveshaft hooked up to the front portion? If it is, is there any precaution to take (cover etc)?

When adding a transfer case, I believe it shortens the distance of the rear shaft, is this correct? If it is, does the shaft need to be swapped out or does it compensate?

Sorry for the newbie questions, driveline has never been anything I've delved into, but will probably be learning alot soon.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm pretty sure it will require the driveshaft to be shorter...you may need a new one

It is COMPLETELY safe to run the vehicle without a front driveshaft...many do it, not to mention the times in the past I've shattered a front DS on the trail
Old 12-16-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good luck on the 4wd conversion. It is definitely a cost effective way to build a tough trail rig.

I ran across an article in 4wd magazine about this type of conversion. You may have seen it already. If not, hope it is helpful to you:

htt p://ww w.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0802_4wd_2007_jeep_jk_2wd_to_4wd_conversion/index.html
Old 01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you started this conversion yet? I'm looking to do the same, so let me know!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Thantos
Have you started this conversion yet? I'm looking to do the same, so let me know!
x2 for me... I would love to follow the process you go through, the cost, etc.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Installing Transfer Case Questions