Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing TF 2.5 coil kit NOW NEED HELP Please!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just inspected it in the daylight, yes as most of you commented, links seems to touch wheels slightly. I will flip them over.

What about front side? Do front part of the kit fits ok with stock wheels, without spacers or flipping links?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SFBayArea
I just inspected it in the daylight, yes as most of you commented, links seems to touch wheels slightly. I will flip them over.

What about front side? Do front part of the kit fits ok with stock wheels, without spacers or flipping links?
Yes, you will be fine up front. The links are mounted more inwards on the front swaybar setup.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Yes, you will be fine up front. The links are mounted more inwards on the front swaybar setup.
x2

10characters
Old 03-05-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all!!!
Lift kit is on and I took it out for a drive for a while and all seems to be holding well.
I must say front part of the kit is MUCH easier to install when the rear. Well, the whole kit is not hard to install when you know what you are doing. I would definatelly appreciate if the instruction would specify that I need to start with rear passenger side first. It took me a while to figure out where this track extention sleeve should go to when I started with the driver's side :-).
Also, I still don't know why instructions called out to loosen all control arm bolts? I was able to do whole install without touching control arms. Moreover, I did not disconnect and didn't even loosen up track bar up front. Why is it required by instructions?
I took Jeep for a spin and didn't notice any differences in the ride, steering or anything else. Do I still need to get a new after market track bar?

Anything I need to do with alignment?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi

I'm pretty sure you are going to want to loosen your control arms and track bars with the Jeep on the ground and then torque to spec.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

not loosening the control arm and tracbar bolts could cause some trouble for the bushing. bushings would be in a bind just sitting on level ground.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was asking myself the same thing! Why in the heck do I have to loosen all this stuff if I'm not changing it. I still ended up doing it, confused as to why. But now I'm glad I did.

I also didn't tighten the front sway bar links until it was on the ground and level. I think this might be why I didn't have any issues with the alignment. Cuz it's damn near perfect.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

The control arm and track bar bushes are held in their position by virtue of the bolts being torqued and 'trapping' the inner sleeves. When you lift your front end WITHOUT loosening these bolts, the bushings twist to the new position, leaving them bound.

You MUST loosen the CA and trackbar bolts with the Jeep on the ground and on the tires to allow the bushings to settle into their new position. Park the Jeep on level ground, loosen the bolts, jump up and down on the bumper, push the front end side to side, then re-torque to spec.

You MUST do this otherwise you will have problems with distorted/separated bushings later on - a common cause of death wobble.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you guys. Will do this today.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Somewhere I read about re-doing the tightening after 300 miles. Not sure if it was in the actual instructions or the write up on Project-JK. I used both sets of instructions.

Should the CA's and Track bars be loosened and re-tightened after 300 miles? Or just tighten/torque every bolt that was removed or loosened while installing the kit?

Quick Reply: Installing TF 2.5 coil kit NOW NEED HELP Please!