Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing Spidertrax spacers without thinking

Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Spidertrax spacers without thinking

Thought I'd share this one as it could happen to any of us.

Just finished installing my Spidertrax spacers and stepped back to admire the wider stance. Thought everything looked pretty good and jumped in, started it up and made the first turn. Happy feeling gone as the tires seemed to bind and gave a shudder back through the steering wheel. Thought, "Oh no. I've forgotten to adjust something." Made one more turn to park it and have a look and noticed an idiot light illuminated on the dash. Now many of you might have a good friend come give you a hand when you are installing these on the front wheels by stepping on the brake pedal. Me, working all alone on this, placed it in 4WD to keep it locked in place. Had I remembered this I'd have of course not had my wheels bind up while turning.

Once my idiocy had been realized I continued on for a drive and they really do help in the hard corners, and no more tire rubbing during hard right turns. All in all I think they are pretty great!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

I had help installing my spacers/lug converters and almost installed the acorn lugs on the wrong way. Love the wider tire stance.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mastenp
I had help installing my spacers/lug converters and almost installed the acorn lugs on the wrong way. Love the wider tire stance.
Great! I love mine and now I hope I put my nutz on right!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

do you have any before and after pictures. i am thinking of getting a par of spacers.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cordur

Just finished installing my Spidertrax spacers and stepped back to admire the wider stance. Thought everything looked pretty good and jumped in, started it up and made the first turn. Happy feeling gone as the tires seemed to bind and gave a shudder back through the steering wheel. Thought, "Oh no. I've forgotten to adjust something." Made one more turn to park it and have a look and noticed an idiot light illuminated on the dash. Now many of you might have a good friend come give you a hand when you are installing these on the front wheels by stepping on the brake pedal. Me, working all alone on this, placed it in 4WD to keep it locked in place. Had I remembered this I'd have of course not had my wheels bind up while turning.

Once my idiocy had been realized I continued on for a drive and they really do help in the hard corners, and no more tire rubbing during hard right turns. All in all I think they are pretty great!
You must have been somewhat relieved to realize that nothing was wrong with your Jeep
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They provide a noticeable difference in stability through the corners, especially after a lift.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cordur

I Did the same thing when I installed them on my wifes JKU.
And when I changed her wheels and took off the spacers.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

I really do wish I had taken a before and after picture. Had intended to, but was in such a hurry I only remembered half way through and figured I wouldn't bother.

On the plus side the whole thing took me only 40 minutes to complete.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Did you pull off the clip retainers that were on the factory hub?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rays0852
Did you pull off the clip retainers that were on the factory hub?

Quick Reply: Installing Spidertrax spacers without thinking