Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing New Shift Knob

Old 03-18-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing New Shift Knob

I purchased a pool ball shift knob for my 2011 JKU, and was told that it doesn't thread on. If this is the case, what is the best way to secure the new shift knob. Any ideas would be great.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I made my own pool ball shifter knob... I just put electrical tape on the stock shifter shaft (manual) and wedged the ball on there. It worked really well. If it twists and moves, just pull it off and add more tape.

I run the stock knob now and I am thinking about getting a hurst T-Handle and just using the electrical tape thing again. Some people use JB-Weld, but I wouldn't recommend it, since it would be permanently stuck on there.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The guy that made my ball drill two holes so i looks an oval. I could slide it down and just twist it has hard as I can. It has moved for about 7 months... Did you get it of a guy on jeep forum
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Yes I bought it from Phillies4752, but can't remember they are on this forum or another.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

O think he is on wrangler forum
Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have a Hurst T-handle and I also used the electrical tape method. I need to pull it off and retape it tho cuz it's starting to move around
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

how about just drilling a hole partially into the ball and jbwelding in a nut that matches the threads of the shifter? it must be a common thread and you can probably get a nut from the hardware store for 50cents. This way you can take it on and off if needed and it wont come loose.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by transitdynamics
how about just drilling a hole partially into the ball and jbwelding in a nut that matches the threads of the shifter? it must be a common thread and you can probably get a nut from the hardware store for 50cents. This way you can take it on and off if needed and it wont come loose.
There are no threads on the shifter
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Took my shifter handle out had a treaded bolt welded on the end, put on my T-handle and used a shop brake to rebend mine.

Quick Reply: Installing New Shift Knob