Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing locker in the X Dana 44

Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing locker in the X Dana 44

I understand that to install a "lunchbox' style locker in the Dana 44 (non-rubi) an open carrier is needed.

My question is "Why"? What is so different?

Does anyone have pictures of the open vs JK carrier?

Another question is "will an open carrier from a TJ or CJ Dana 44 do the job, or is it a special axle or???"

I am REALLY curious about the differences and the Why?

Thanks,
Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Am I really the only one wondering about this?

Someone's gott know, right?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

Way back in June 2007 .... I inquired about adding a locker to my NON RUBI Dana 44 !!!!

I was told " The internals were diffrent from previous Dana 44s and they were working on it !! "

Since then ; I have gotten busy with OTHER projects since I was soooo pleased with the ESP and Traction Control ....... And I kinda forgot about it !!!

I would imagine ARB and everyone else has caught up by now !!!!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

i was please wth the lS and BLD as well. It did good, but I have now outgrown it.

I really need a real locker.

Just don't know the "Why" in the limited option question. I am surprised there are no real answers here.

What if I tried to install an Aussie?
What would happen? Why? Why, why why?????
Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The lunchbox lockers are designed to be used with an open case, not a track lock case. As to the why, you'll need to call Aussie or Richmond Gear. Why not just get a Detroit Locker? It'll fit and work fine.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

I know, I know...
What is the difference in the carriers?

Anyone have any pics of the differences?

If I have to get a carrier and have the gears set, i will most likely go with a selectable. It just makes me crazy that it just is the way it is with no real specifics as to why
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

The carrier in a trac-lock differential is recessed were the side gears go. This is to make room for the clutches. The "lunch box" lockers are not designed for this type of carrier and will not fit. You should be able to locate a an open carrier on here somewhere, there has to be a bunch of guys that have put in lockers by now and have no use for their old ones. HTH
Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Why do you want to put an auto locker in the rear... they don't allow for rotation in the rear because you constantly have torque applied. (unless you roll) your limited slip is much better for the rear. Plus the LS with the BLD, its almost like having a true locker. Most people think my rear is locked when they one tire is up in the air.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

ARB builds a locker for the non Rubi dana 44. I have one in my Sahara and it is great. Then you get the compressor to air up with. My front ARB for my D30 will be in for JK-JAM....45 days away

Quick Reply: Installing locker in the X Dana 44