Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing a lift for the first time

Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NH-JK
Call north ridge 4x4 Dave can get you a shaft asap. I'm sure there's a bunch in stock. He will help you figure which shaft will work best for your set up. Good luck!
Thank you. I will call them today.

Question. The lift calls for the rear stabilizer end links to be removed and used in the front. Can I remove these without jacking the rear completely off the floor? I can support it with another jack I have but it won't lift completely off the ground.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=nodor;2029461]I'm worried we may have dropped the axle down too low when trying to get the coils in. Is it possible to mess anything up doing this? There doesn't seem to be anything VISIBLY damaged.[quote]

not really and yes, if something is off, you should be able to see it. check your ABS lines to make sure they are still connected to the tabs on your knuckles and check your breather hose on the differential to make sure it hasn't pulled out. aside from that, you sould be fine.

We're not sure what to do about the rear drive shaft either. We'd like to order that and the rear upper control arms and install it ourselves but I'm not sure how much time we'll have to work with after we finish the lift. Will most local off-road shops have quality drive shafts and control arms in stock that they can install quickly?
Originally Posted by NH-JK
Call north ridge 4x4 Dave can get you a shaft asap. I'm sure there's a bunch in stock. He will help you figure which shaft will work best for your set up. Good luck!
as mentioned, call northridge4x4 and i'm sure they'll have everything in stock and can hurry them out to you.

Originally Posted by nodor
Question. The lift calls for the rear stabilizer end links to be removed and used in the front. Can I remove these without jacking the rear completely off the floor? I can support it with another jack I have but it won't lift completely off the ground.
yes. your shocks might be in the way but, if you take your time, you should be able to still remove the links even with them in place. no jacking will be needed for this.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

I was able to remove the the links from the rear; however, when installing them in the front the bolt in the upper end of the link began spinning inside the joint and will not allow me to tighten or remove the nut that I managed to partly screw onto the bolt. Any advice here?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

I was able to remove the the links from the rear; however, when installing them in the front the bolt in the upper end of the link began spinning inside the joint and will not allow me to tighten or remove the nut that I managed to partly screw onto the bolt. Any advice here?
push the rubber boot back a bit and you will see that there is a nut at the end of the stud. you need to put a 19mm wrench here to hold it in place.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

This really is what I like about this forum, real world mods, questions and all you guys helping out! I will be in this position in about a month, I have been reading all the write ups and video clips! Keep it up guys!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hifirush
This really is what I like about this forum, real world mods, questions and all you guys helping out! I will be in this position in about a month, I have been reading all the write ups and video clips! Keep it up guys!
Agreed. This forum has been incredibly helpful. In my experience other forums similar to this one don't even come close in comparison.

So the front is complete. Can someone point me where to look for a reference with all the factory torques? I searched with no luck.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Agreed. This forum has been incredibly helpful. In my experience other forums similar to this one don't even come close in comparison.

So the front is complete. Can someone point me where to look for a reference with all the factory torques? I searched with no luck.
you can find what you are looking for here:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...orque-settings

or, you can look through this write-up and you will see them address in each step as well:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You gotta love it when a plan comes together!!!!

A-team!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you can find what you are looking for here:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...orque-settings

or, you can look through this write-up and you will see them address in each step as well:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Thank you.

Lift is done with the exception of the Front Lower CA brackets and final torquing. Currently the front is about 1" higher than the rear. Is this normal? Also the stock rear tires are pretty close to the rock rails and we're still planning to put on 35s. The 35s should still clear it but I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about? Thank you again for all of the help.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Also the stock rear tires are pretty close to the rock rails and we're still planning to put on 35s. The 35s should still clear it but I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about? Thank you again for all of the help.
It is normal. As you lift higher, the rear axle is pulled forward. If you want to move the axle back, you will need both sets of rear ca's.

Until then, you can just do a little trimming if you need to.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=pinch+seam

Currently the front is about 1" higher than the rear. Is this normal?
Take a look at the rear coils and see if they are 'bowed'. If so, you might consider something like this:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Degree-Wedges

If they are straight, a small spacer will be needed to level you...

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-13-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Installing a lift for the first time