Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing a lift for the first time

Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nodor
Thank you all. Seems like I have all the tools I'm going to need. The Jeep is a 2 door 2011. So far I've gotten the front end off the ground and the wheels off.
oh, i didn't realize you had a 2-door. with the amount of lift you will get out of this kit, you should know that your rear drive shaft will sit at a much greater angle and this will put the cv boots in a constant state of pinch. sooner than later, this will cause them to fail and subsequently, cause the bearing inside to fail as well. in spite of what aev will try to tell you, you will need to think about replacing your rear shaft with a u-joint style one. you may not need to do it now but you will need to do it and, when you do, you will need to install adjustable rear upper control arms as they will be needed to set your pinion angle.

Because it's a 2011 I had to order extended brake lines. Anyone know where I can find good instructions on how to install these? I didn't receive any with them or the lift and AEV hasn't been answering their phone or returning voice mail.
this write-up should help you out:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...e-installation
Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
you just take the old ones off from behind the wheel to the mount on the frame and replace them. Fluid will come out and make a mess so have some floor dry or pig mats to soak it up. Bleeding will be required also, not hard on the JK there are threads on bleeding. I would do this last because of the mess it makes.
I have to do it first because they prevent me from dropping the axle low enough to get the stock coils out =(. Thanks for the info I'll do a search.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by remark
Also a ratchet strap helps for recentering the axles when you need to adjust the track bars.
no need for ratchet straps, simply turn the steering wheel to help out up front and have someone push on the side of your jeep for the rear.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

I have to do it first because they prevent me from dropping the axle low enough to get the stock coils out =(. Thanks for the info I'll do a search.
You could always rent a set of spring compressors from your local auto parts store.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JTURBO

You could always rent a set of spring compressors from your local auto parts store.
Or just unbolt the calipers from the axle
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Only 1

Or just unbolt the calipers from the axle
Ended up doing that. Just returned from the autoparts store with a tierod puller. I love this forum you guys respond quicker than anyone. Will keep you updated on how it's going.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ended up doing that. Just returned from the autoparts store with a tierod puller. I love this forum you guys respond quicker than anyone. Will keep you updated on how it's going.
u dont need to use the "fork" to separate the tie rod ends and drag link... looosen the nut till its flush with the top, then hit with a hammer.. it will come right off.
u use the nut to make a flat surface so u dont mess up the threads when u hit it.
those fork tools will distroy the boots.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
u dont need to use the "fork" to separate the tie rod ends and drag link... looosen the nut till its flush with the top, then hit with a hammer.. it will come right off.
u use the nut to make a flat surface so u dont mess up the threads when u hit it.
those fork tools will distroy the boots.
or, you can just hit the front of the knuckle with a 3 lb. hammer - this will effectively "ring" out the TRE...

Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for your help. Today we got the new coils and shocks installed and all the necessary brackets on to reassemble the rest of the front. Will finish that and the rear hopefully by tomorrow. Ran into a few snags here and there trying to get the shocks to go into the brackets on the axle end and with the coils but managed to get it done. I'm worried we may have dropped the axle down too low when trying to get the coils in. Is it possible to mess anything up doing this? There doesn't seem to be anything VISIBLY damaged. We're not sure what to do about the rear drive shaft either. We'd like to order that and the rear upper control arms and install it ourselves but I'm not sure how much time we'll have to work with after we finish the lift. Will most local off-road shops have quality drive shafts and control arms in stock that they can install quickly? I move back to school next week and my father is too busy with work without me around to help so if we don't finish it this week it probably won't get done until the summer

Also, heres a picture of what we're working with

Last edited by nodor; 01-11-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call north ridge 4x4 Dave can get you a shaft asap. I'm sure there's a bunch in stock. He will help you figure which shaft will work best for your set up. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Installing a lift for the first time