Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing a lift for the first time

Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a lift for the first time

Our AEV 3.5" Premium Lift came in last night and my dad and I are going to begin the install this evening. Neither of us have done this kind of work on a vehicle before but I'm fairly positive we'll be able to handle it. It mainly just involves unbolting and re-bolting things in with a small amount of drilling. Any advice before we get started? I'd just like it to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Get at least 4 good jack stands (tall 6 tons) and a 3 ton floor jack, 1/2" torque wrench, 1/2" impact wrench, 15mm,18mm,21mm sockets and open end wrenches, long punch to help line up the control arms to the mounts, thread lock, dead blow hammer, and creeper. Jack the whole jeep up and put it on the jack stands and remove the wheels don't get in a hurry, loosen all the suspension bolts and do the arms 2 at a time like upper front then lower front use the floor jack on the axle to get it lined up on the mounts. leave everything loose until the wheels are back on an the jeep is on the ground. bounce the jeep a couple of times to seat the bushings and torque everything to spec. A paint marker is good to have on hand to mark the bolt head after you torque it so you can double check easier. There is a great torque chart on this forum if you do a search on it, print it out so you have it with you. You will more than likley need to driveshafts too.
Will I need to do driveshafts immediately? The Jeep won't be used heavily off-road until this summer. Will it be ok on road and very minor off-roading until we replace the shafts?

Also, the AEV lift comes with Front Lower CA brackets that utilize the stock CAs. The rest of the CAs are left alone. We're looking at possibly replacing the CAs later on down the road though.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nodor
Our AEV 3.5" Premium Lift came in last night and my dad and I are going to begin the install this evening. Neither of us have done this kind of work on a vehicle before but I'm fairly positive we'll be able to handle it. It mainly just involves unbolting and re-bolting things in with a small amount of drilling. Any advice before we get started? I'd just like it to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks.
for the most part, it's a pretty straight forward install. if you don't have one already, make sure to have

• a complete metric wrench and socket set that goes up to 21mm and includes 18mm. some tool sets are missing these and, being that they are a common size on the JK, they are important to have.
• a ft. lb. torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft. lbs.
• a good floor jack that has a lift height of about 20"
• 2 tall jack stands (harbor freight has 6 ton stands that are nice and tall and for cheap)

with these things and a good set of instructions, you should be good to go.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can any of you guys recommend a good socket set w/ or w/o a torque wrench that is reasonably priced? Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Monte417
can any of you guys recommend a good socket set w/ or w/o a torque wrench that is reasonably priced? Thanks
sure, go to your local sears and pick up a craftsman metric set. just make sure it comes with at least the following sizes: 8,10,15,16,18,19,21. these are all very common sizes you will need and not always included in a box set.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-11-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

And you should also pick up a good selection of Torx, also.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by nthinuf
And you should also pick up a good selection of Torx, also.
too true. not as many torx bolts on the JK as there were on the old TJ and none in regards to suspension but, there are still enough around to need them
Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
sure, go to your local sears and pick up a craftsman metric set. just make sure it comes with at least the following sizes: 8,10,15,16,18,19,21. these are all very common sizes you will need and not always included in a box set.

Thank you sir
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you all. Seems like I have all the tools I'm going to need. The Jeep is a 2 door 2011. So far I've gotten the front end off the ground and the wheels off.

Because it's a 2011 I had to order extended brake lines. Anyone know where I can find good instructions on how to install these? I didn't receive any with them or the lift and AEV hasn't been answering their phone or returning voice mail.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure to measure everything you can think of before the lift and after (heights, angles, etc). So a pen and paper help.

I don't know how preset the AEV kit is, but don't forget the angle meter to set caster (adjusting the control arms) and measure angles of you swaybars (adjusting the links). Also a ratchet strap helps for recentering the axles when you need to adjust the track bars.

Quick Reply: Installing a lift for the first time