Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing lift - come across issue w/Lower control arm mount & body mounts - help!

Old 02-23-2016, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing lift - come across issue w/Lower control arm mount & body mounts - help!

I just picked up this jeep last week, 2014 jk w/19k miles, driven by soccer mom - never been offroad, setup on 20's mall crawler. The jeep had Rough Country basic lift, seems like springs, shocks and drop pitman arm. Let me preface this by saying the steering and handling was very nervous, the ride was horribly stiff... As I removed the passenger front shock the shaft was noticeable bent which I found odd but now it's all making sense.

I'm installing Synergy Stage 3, 3" kit... Upon installation I stumble upon a big issue. WTF is this passenger side LCA mount? The drivers side slid in w/o issue, I get to passenger side and immediately red flag as I can't get the bolt out of the lower mount, once I do I have beat on the stock LCA to come out, then notice this hack job mount. It's my best guess they cut off the stock mount to accommodate rough country track bar bracket, I can't understand why else they would have done this. The welding on this new mount is terrible, and it's noticeably "off" compared to the drivers side, which I'm not coming to conclusion is why the shock shaft was bent, and why this thing has rode like nervous dog shit! I can't get the bolt to go back on w/the Synergy LCA.

My question - what are my options here with the bracket??

Last - As I'm crawling out from under the jeep I notice middle & rear body mounts looking very odd, and mounted at a severe angle.... is this normal? I've got evo boatside bombers to put on and am now very nervous these won't fit up w/o some serious work.

Attaching photo of stock mount for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	780.0 KB
ID:	638654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	743.5 KB
ID:	638655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0674.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	645.1 KB
ID:	638656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	622.1 KB
ID:	638657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0677.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	907.9 KB
ID:	638658  

Old 02-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Interesting, I've got a single body mount that looks similar. No idea on your CA mounts- maybe a bad accident and they opted for replacement mounts that were thicker?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Looks wrecked to me... Those body mounts are jacked. Bet the LCA axle mounts got ripped off in an accident. 😕
Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it in an accident?
Bent shock shaft, body mounts are tweaked & new LCA mount are pretty good evidence.

Have you tried rotating the housing up/down with a jack under the pinion to get the bolt to line up? You can also hammer on the mount to "help" things along.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

I would get rid of those cam bolts
Old 02-23-2016, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Spoke w/previous owner, two completely separate issues.

The front axle mount was bent, and he took it to a local 4 wheel parts ( I think, he was calling it 4 wheel warehouse) and had the front axle bracket repaired as Jeep/Chrysler won't sell a stock bracket.

As far as the body mounts, I'm still unsure, if I barely losen them they go back to being perfectly vertical, but when I tighten them up they go back crooked, just the two, no other mounts are off. I've got a buddy at work who's got a good body shop connection, once it's back on the ground I'll run it over and have it put on a frame machine, go from there. The vehicle was rear ended, but I was shown photos before, it looked fairly minor, spare tire/tail gate took brunt, he just replaced them, and bumper - who knows though
Old 02-23-2016, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I would get rid of those cam bolts
I'm going to hack off both mounts, start from scratch and will do just that tomorrow

Quick Reply: Installing lift - come across issue w/Lower control arm mount & body mounts - help!