Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing headers...other additions to the exhaust system?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed. Looking forward to the install!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Looks good? How do you like the sound? Does it drone?

I've made several short drives now, speeds not over 55mph. The VT sounds mellow, with a little growl at idle and when leaving the stop light. My brother and I could hardly notice it at any speed. In-cabin conversations were normal. Stereo adjustments un-needed. I don't detect any "drone", but notice some different tones when going thru the gears. By different I mean different over stock.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I was apprehensive about changing the exhaust. I really dislike the ricer sound and the roaring V-8 Mustangs.....oh and the obnoxious diesel trucks with the giant pipes

I can't detect any engine performance gain. I do like the way the CAI and the muffler sound at WOL. Very cool.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nukeman
Subscribed. Looking forward to the install!
Please be patient. It might be a couple of weeks before I can get to the install, what with the holidays and all.

I've looked over the engine compartment closely. I don't see any big problems, just the usual remove this to get to that sorta thing. I'm considering changing the battery tray, as others have noticed the tray does take a lot of space and could trap some heat. I might do a snorkle install (River Raider) along with the headers, we'll see.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by texwillys

I've made several short drives now, speeds not over 55mph. The VT sounds mellow, with a little growl at idle and when leaving the stop light. My brother and I could hardly notice it at any speed. In-cabin conversations were normal. Stereo adjustments un-needed. I don't detect any "drone", but notice some different tones when going thru the gears. By different I mean different over stock.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I was apprehensive about changing the exhaust. I really dislike the ricer sound and the roaring V-8 Mustangs.....oh and the obnoxious diesel trucks with the giant pipes

I can't detect any engine performance gain. I do like the way the CAI and the muffler sound at WOL. Very cool.
That is great news. I think many of the aftermarket exhausts for the jk sound ricey. May look in to this one
Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez
the header with the heat shield is for the driver side. I have ceramic coated JBA headers in my 08 with a hushpower resonator and a flowmaster cat back.

I recommend that you put a stage 8 header bolt kit when you install your headers. if you get the kit for the Jeep 4.7L v8 than you will have 4 extra bolts left over in case you drop a washer or e clip. one other thing to do is put some extra long bolts on the cat flange bolts and they double nut them so you won't loss any nuts after it goes thru a few heat cycles. one thing you will notice is that the cat flange bolts will get lose enought to spin by hand. if tighten them again, then they will get lose again in a few days. you'll just have to live with it, i haven't found a way around it. I did try and put some springs on the flanges to keep a even tension on them but I can't get strong enough springs to keep good pressure.

John, thanks for the advice. Do I understand that you have 2 resonators? Should I expect a significant noise level increase?

My previous experiences with headers was only in racing applications, so I wasn't concerned about the noise.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
That is great news. I think many of the aftermarket exhausts for the jk sound ricey. May look in to this one
Ryan, I was at a stop light this morning next to a Chevy truck with the usual dual exhaust and turbo mufflers. I couldn't even hear my Jeep.
Also, I'm still running my soft top, so I can hear the muffler better than with a hard top. If you are running the hard top you probably won't even hear this muffler except at WOL.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Ryan, I was at a stop light this morning next to a Chevy truck with the usual dual exhaust and turbo mufflers. I couldn't even hear my Jeep.
Also, I'm still running my soft top, so I can hear the muffler better than with a hard top. If you are running the hard top you probably won't even hear this muffler except at WOL.
Good to hear. May have to pick one up. Anxious to see how the headers work out
Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

John, thanks for the advice. Do I understand that you have 2 resonators? Should I expect a significant noise level increase?

My previous experiences with headers was only in racing applications, so I wasn't concerned about the noise.
If your going to try to run true duals all the way back you will. I'm curious to see how that turns out. I'm running Ripp Headers and with my setup things seemed cramped. I'm sure someone can figure out a way to keep it true dual but your talking two resonators and two mufflers. To keep it true in a manner of speaking. Just doesn't seem like there is enough room under there. My opinion.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool! You nailed it in your description, not over the top, you now hear your exhaust but it isn't a bad thing. And as you mentioned you can hear your stereo!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Default Wait wait wait...

This wont void any warranty that the jeep has will it? I have seen posts about jeeps getting knocked for being lifted even mild lifts, i guess chrysler is picky on what we can do to our jeeps? And a second question is anyone running flowmaster 40 or 44's on the jeep 3.8-3.6pentastar? if so hows the sound on it with headers

Quick Reply: Installing headers...other additions to the exhaust system?