Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installing EVO bolt on D-rings and fascia?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been reading and some make out the install on the fascia to be pretty tough? Something about a wing but being a PAIN? I tried to piece enough info together searching the forums to find out what it entails, but couldn't find enough info though.

Does anyone have any pics or advice for the install when I get mine in?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are bolts that bolt through the frame and the nut for said bolts needs to be threaded inside the rear crossmember. There is a tiny opening to get the nut with a "wing" attached in the rear crossmember. The wing nut once threaded is supposed to stop the nut from spinning,allowing you to tighten the bolt. Mine still spun so I inserted a flat screwdriver so the wing had something to catch onto. My advice is to use a magnetic screwdriver or magnetic retrieval tool to hold it in place while you thread it initially. Or cut the opening slightly bigger in the crossmember and pry a screwdriver in there to stop the nut from spinning. I hope that makes sense.?.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jasenri13
There are bolts that bolt through the frame and the nut for said bolts needs to be threaded inside the rear crossmember. There is a tiny opening to get the nut with a "wing" attached in the rear crossmember. The wing nut once threaded is supposed to stop the nut from spinning,allowing you to tighten the bolt. Mine still spun so I inserted a flat screwdriver so the wing had something to catch onto. My advice is to use a magnetic screwdriver or magnetic retrieval tool to hold it in place while you thread it initially. Or cut the opening slightly bigger in the crossmember and pry a screwdriver in there to stop the nut from spinning. I hope that makes sense.?.
Thank you for the reply. It doesn't really make sense to me, but I guess it will when the Fascia gets here and I start to look at it. My bumper was installed with the 4 bolts going all the way through the frame cross member, just can't fathom why a wing nut would be used and not 4 bolts...
Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

The easiest way we have found to install the D-Rings w/ the REAR Facia is to simply hold the flagnut on the "outside' of the frame with a set of vicegrips while installing and then CAREFULLY cut off the flag with a small cutting wheel once installed... CAREFULLY! and then hitting the cut area with a bit of black paint.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

So, it sounds like the install would go much easier if you mounted the bolt on d-ring mounts first, then the fascia?

Originally Posted by drew@offroadevolution
The easiest way we have found to install the D-Rings w/ the REAR Facia is to simply hold the flagnut on the "outside' of the frame with a set of vicegrips while installing and then CAREFULLY cut off the flag with a small cutting wheel once installed... CAREFULLY! and then hitting the cut area with a bit of black paint.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
So, it sounds like the install would go much easier if you mounted the bolt on d-ring mounts first, then the fascia?

NO. they need to be installed at the same time as they utilize the same hardware.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the D-rings ages ago... what is the fascia? Something new?

On the D-rings, just be aware the if you think to yourself in the middle of the install "I should take off that sticker on the passenger side frame rail first" that under the sticker is unpainted bare steel... Be prepared to prep, prime and paint that spot if you decide to remove it!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeep_n_co
Did the D-rings ages ago... what is the fascia? Something new? On the D-rings, just be aware the if you think to yourself in the middle of the install "I should take off that sticker on the passenger side frame rail first" that under the sticker is unpainted bare steel... Be prepared to prep, prime and paint that spot if you decide to remove it!
The fascia runs across the rear like a bumper covering up the exposed frame. Just google "evo rear bumper fascia."

On the sticker, started to take it off yesterday, that think is stuck on there! I hook a razor to
it for a few minutes but got bored chipping off a little piece at a time. I have to go back at it today.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
The fascia runs across the rear like a bumper covering up the exposed frame. Just google "evo rear bumper fascia."

On the sticker, started to take it off yesterday, that think is stuck on there! I hook a razor to
it for a few minutes but got bored chipping off a little piece at a time. I have to go back at it today.
I used a heat gun to help out. Yes, it is stuck quite well. Was pissed when I found bare steel underneath, just added hours to the job.

I used the heat gun to help dry the primer and paint a little faster, too.

Found the fascia, thanks.

Quick Reply: Installing EVO bolt on D-rings and fascia?