Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installed TF BB and now some questions.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed TF BB and now some questions.

We sold our old wrangler (no lift) for a 4door JK. I read about the TF BB and showed her, she was excited about it. We'll mainly drive it on roads, and off road a little bit when we go up north. I've driven jeeps before with lifts and they've darted left and right on bumps. So I get it insalled and she hates it, she hates how it drives. It darts left and right on bumps. She wants the lift off :( I still have the stock tires and rims on it. This was the bottom of the line lift, no shocks or springs. I take it if I would have spent the money for a shock and coil lift I wouldn't have this problem as bad?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

I have the shock/coil 2.5 from TF and my ride quality is great, even better than stock I would say. Sometimes I get bad traction, but that's probably mostly based off my tires (aggressive 35/13.5), not the lift.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

To clarify, I have a sahara with the 18" wheels and there hasn't been an alignment done after the lift. And one other thing I forgot was I put another 1" puck in the spring to even out the rake.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07sahara
We sold our old wrangler (no lift) for a 4door JK. I read about the TF BB and showed her, she was excited about it. We'll mainly drive it on roads, and off road a little bit when we go up north. I've driven jeeps before with lifts and they've darted left and right on bumps. So I get it insalled and she hates it, she hates how it drives. It darts left and right on bumps. She wants the lift off :( I still have the stock tires and rims on it. This was the bottom of the line lift, no shocks or springs. I take it if I would have spent the money for a shock and coil lift I wouldn't have this problem as bad?
OK so get a alignment done. With the JK on sitting on the tires, loosen every control arm bolt, do not remove them! Rock the JK back and forth, re tighten the bolts to stock specs. Sometimes the bolts/factory bushing like to bind up. did you center the steering wheel? With stock rims/tires and a lift you can have some rubbing issues with the swaybars vs. wheels. Wheelspacers or new wheels with backspacing of 4.5" or less will help clearance.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

prolly need an adjustable track bar for the front imo.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bahadden
prolly need an adjustable track bar for the front imo.
If you're at 3" or above, your definitly getting some thrust angle change, so that would affect you and could be solved with a track bar.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

I attempted to center the steering wheel today real quick, I had it straight in the driveway, then she called me when driving it and said the wheel was to the other side now equal distance. So when I get more time I need to work on that more. I did purchase spacers, but didn't put them on. When I drove the jeep after installing the lift (no spacers) the rear swaybar links rubbed on the rear wheels. The directions weren't clear on which side they went on, so I moved the links to the inside. Which side do they belong on? Is now the time to install the spacers? Or after I get big tires (If I can get it to ride right and get that far without her wanting the lift off).
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with 3.5" of lift in the front you are most likely having the darty steering feeling caused by lack of + castor in the front, you will have to install adjustable control arms to align it properly.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put the same lift on last weekend and in my experience you need to drive it a bit to really dial in the steering. I also took it in for an alignment as soon as I was done because I wanted to get my new tires right away and it rides great. I'm on the stock 18's same as you. I'd suggest 86's the extra puck and getting an alignment. And throw the spacers on.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie

Ours was a "little" flighty and darty on bumps after the teraflex BB. It wasnt that bad, but it was still there. I think the 1" spacer is what really made the difference with yours. The cheapest and easiest fix would be to remove the spacer and see how it drives. If you want to keep the spacer, adding an adj trackbar (centering the axle) should take care of the darty tracking when you hit a bounce and adding a set of adj control arms(increasing caster) will stiffen up the steering to eliminate a light, flighty feel.

Edit and FWIW The only things an alignment shop can do without adj control arms or trackbars, are center the steering wheel and adj the Toe... neither of those will fix your flighty feeling.

Also when I did a crude measurement of my castor with an angle finder it was at about 3.25 degrees with just the tera 2.5 puck and when I went to 3" coil (about 4" lift) it measured about 2 degrees. Stock is 4.2, Im currently have mine at 5 which gives a solid feeling on the highway.

With just the teraflex 2.5 puck, the front axle was off ~3/16" after the 3" coils ~1/2"

So I think with just the 2.5 puck the changes to the suspension are small enough not to make a big impact on drivability. But after 3-3.5", the suspension gets far enough out of whack to make things squirelly.

Last edited by bly109; 08-21-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Installed TF BB and now some questions.