Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installed Rubican Express short arm 3.5...handles very poorly on Highway...help.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Rubican Express short arm 3.5...handles very poorly on Highway...help.

I have a 4dr Rubicon and I installed the Rubicon Express Short arm 3.5 now it "walks" all over the road at hwy speeds, at a very dangerous level. I also installed heavy-duty track bars and upgraded the Steering stabilizer...Could the problem be the hyme joints in the control arms or do i need an aftermarket sway bar in the rear? Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sandonm
I have a 4dr Rubicon and I installed the Rubicon Express Short arm 3.5 now it "walks" all over the road at hwy speeds, at a very dangerous level. I also installed heavy-duty track bars and upgraded the Steering stabilizer...Could the problem be the hyme joints in the control arms or do i need an aftermarket sway bar in the rear? Any ideas?
i have the R.E 3.5 superflex and have no issues at all,that even loading the rear hitch with 300 lbs,no drifting darting, nothing handles great,my caster is set at +6 degrees. aftermarket sway bar in the rear? did you mean track bar? i just used the rear trackbar relocation bracket which is much better than the earlier design and it works great.....not sure what your prob could be
Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Installed Rubican Express short arm 3.5...handles very poorly on Highway...help.

Thanks for the info...I do have aftermarket track bars...but the sway bar is still stock...maybe i just need to beef up the rear sway bar. Your thoughts? Do you think it might just be an alignment thing? It really "walks" bad, but I do love the flex when off road though.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info...I do have aftermarket track bars...but the sway bar is still stock...maybe i just need to beef up the rear sway bar. Your thoughts? Do you think it might just be an alignment thing? It really "walks" bad, but I do love the flex when off road though.
I'd put it on an alignment machine and see where your at.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Read this one in the Suspension FAQ's...

Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?

You could also do a quick search here on 'cam bolts' to get some feedback on what everyone thinks of them. (I'm assuming that you did install the cams that came with the kit?)
Old 05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed on Caster being the first thing to look at.. Effects stability dramatically. Check the toe while you are there..
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Okay then, Thanks for all the great info. I will take it to the shop Monday to have alignment checked, specifically to check the caster, cambor and toe. I will see if that helps. Just a little more info...it does not just pull in one direction it pulls and darts either way at random, especially when it is windy out.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

What you described in the original post sounds like oversteer. A stiffer rear sway bar will make that problem worse, although it would take care of the resulting symptom of body roll.

As others have stated, you more than likely need to add some positive caster. That will make your front tires feel like they are planted better and remove some if not all of the flightiness and the propensity to feel darty.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Okay then, Thanks for all the great info. I will take it to the shop Monday to have alignment checked, specifically to check the caster, cambor and toe. I will see if that helps. Just a little more info...it does not just pull in one direction it pulls and darts either way at random, especially when it is windy out.

Read through this one:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Even if you don't want to do any of it yourself, it's always good to get an idea of what the alignment tech is telling you.

Another thing to be aware of is that Cam Bolts do not have the range that adj control arms have, and they may not be able to get your caster high enough to offset that much lift.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-02-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
The flighty/darty handling is nearly always from too little caster, or too little toe-in, or too much air psi in the tires (more than 28-30), or a combination of the 3.

If you have adjustable lower front control arms so you can adjust your caster between somewhere between 4-6 degrees (non-4wd shops typically will not adjust your control arms, and you will have to do it yourself), adjust your toe-in to factory specs, and reduce your tire psi to about 30 or less, the flightiness will go away.
Wow, what a wealth of information, starting to feel alot better about this, and learning quite a bit in the process...I installed the RE lift my self (2 yrs ago)and immediately took it to a local (reputable) off road shop he adjusted/corrected thrust angle, and alignment but did not mention caster. I lived in Hawii so never really got over 50 mph (btw, great off roading in Hawaii) i did have some pretty agressive off road trips since...maybe it is due for a realignment. anyway, I just noticed the "flightiness/dating" was at dangerous levels when I got back to Tx and faster hwy speeds...

The RE superflex I installed has adjustable upper control arms front and rear (lowers are not adj) seems like they got that one backwards. Would I be able to adjust the caster via the upper control arms or should I buy some adj. lowers? And thanks so much for your time a knowledge.

Quick Reply: Installed Rubican Express short arm 3.5...handles very poorly on Highway...help.