Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

installed RK lift...tech question

Old 06-02-2015, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed RK lift...tech question

I recently installed RK 3.5 lift...the instructions give you dimensions of what to set all the arms up to but by doing that my axle was not centered so i decided to center the axle and not use their setting but now my airbag light is on and every time i go around a corner my rear axle locks and releases...i dont know if its the computer locking my breaks or the limited slip but the dash light up when its doing it with the traction control
Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your steering wheel is not centered. Did you adjust the drag link?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Sounds like your steering wheel is not centered. Did you adjust the drag link?
i adjusted the drag link and centered the steering wheel
Old 06-02-2015, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you put larger tires on or re gear? You might need an AEV procal or a programmer.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

I also have the airbag light on, but it has nothing to do with the lift or axle position. I'm getting it into the dealer for a warranty repair because there is a fault in the electrical. My friend's 2010 also has this issue.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 12JKjeep
Did you put larger tires on or re gear? You might need an AEV procal or a programmer.
I'm running 37's....

but the problem goes away if i uncenter my axle
Old 06-02-2015, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Space Monkey
I also have the airbag light on, but it has nothing to do with the lift or axle position. I'm getting it into the dealer for a warranty repair because there is a fault in the electrical. My friend's 2010 also has this issue.
well i find it odd if i set my axle back up off center it goes out and only turns on when i center it.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJCAVITT
well i find it odd if i set my axle back up off center it goes out and only turns on when i center it.
When you uncenter the axle, are you adjusting the drag link? The JK computer is calibrated to a center point. When you add a lot of lift and the axle is really far off center and then you recenter the steering wheel, it is not recalibrating the computer. That is what the AEV procal will fix. Get it all aligned and then the procal will re calibrate the steering center. It really should be done on an alignment rack, but that is your call. The wheels need to be perfectly straight forward and then you adjust the drag link until the horn sounds. The steering is now calibrated.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also have heard of quite a few people who have broken their clock spring by turning it to far one way when trying to adjust the wheel or while having the drag link disconnected usually if the wheel has been off centered by a half turn or more one way and you turn the wheel the shortest way to center it can make the wheel off one direction by one full turn so when you drive it and make a full turn the clock spring gets pushed too far and breaks if that makes sense
Old 06-02-2015, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
When you uncenter the axle, are you adjusting the drag link? The JK computer is calibrated to a center point. When you add a lot of lift and the axle is really far off center and then you recenter the steering wheel, it is not recalibrating the computer. That is what the AEV procal will fix. Get it all aligned and then the procal will re calibrate the steering center. It really should be done on an alignment rack, but that is your call. The wheels need to be perfectly straight forward and then you adjust the drag link until the horn sounds. The steering is now calibrated.
yes i adjust the drag link both when centered and uncentered...i had no idea the pro cal had anything to do with the steering, good to know. I havent had it aligned yet as i was wanting to figure this out before i went and did that but thanks great info...

Quick Reply: installed RK lift...tech question