Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installed a new Luk clutch this week!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed a new Luk clutch this week!

So, after five days of blood, sweat (working from a garage in Phoenix), tears and swearing - I finished putting a new Luk clutch into my JK. Throwout bearing, pilot bearing and all, naturally.

I am planning to do a write up over the next few days or weeks but let me tell you - this was a CHORE. Of course, I had no misconceptions going in. After all, a clutch job is not for beginners. That being said, I was so happy when we finished and the clutch worked like a charm that I'm pretty sure I cried a little.

Anyhow, I'm curious - I have read that often right after replacing a clutch, the clutch pedal can be very soft at first but that after several weeks, it tends to stiffen up. Has anyone had experience with this? This Luk clutch seems to work just fine but the pedal is surprisingly soft. I can't imagine we did anything to cause it but any input would be awesome.

Thanks folks! Keep an eye out for my write up!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Maybe got some air into the slave cylinder that needs to be bled out?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be the rate of the clutch is softer than stock or air in the line if you broke any of the fittings loose. I dont believe a hydraulic clutch has much adjustment other than the first few pumps

Last edited by bahadden; 07-11-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about possibly having to bleed the system but that shouldn't be an issue unless, as you said, a fitting came loose or if I had actually changed out the slave cylinder.

I'll take it for a real test drive today and see how it goes. I suppose it's possible the new one is softer than the stock but DANG, this is really soft.

Quick Reply: Installed a new Luk clutch this week!