Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

installed my tranny cooler thursday

Old 05-10-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Lads I bought mine thru amazon, $46.00 including shipping- had it in 2 days. This cooler is the size of the factory condenser LOL. Yes Redneck I did splice it into the rubber flex joint in the original lines, not crazy about that but I wanted it in until I get enough time to do the lines right, I installed it Thursday on my lunch break at the shop.....

Like I said, nuthin wrong with usin the rubber stuff. Lots of us would be in trouble without rubbers. LOL
Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now I'm paranoid with these things running too hot -- especially seeing how the life of the fluid is reduced significantly with the temps as noted in this link that tkob1060 posted in another area: http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques123_0.html

This is crazy -- quote: "As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!

At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles. At 240 degrees F., the fluid won’t go much over 10,000 miles. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 5,000 miles. Go to 295 or 300 degrees F., and 1,000 to 1,500 miles is about all you’ll get before the transmission burns up."

So, not only thinking about onroad, but slowing going offroading -- is just a cooler enough -- I mean, mine had the stock tranny cooler.

Anyone think about the Derale Electra-Cool Remote Fluid Coolers with built in fans, and tying in a fan thermostat? I think we have at least 3 7/8" between our grill and radiator.

Last edited by JKrJohn; 05-10-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paratus13

For anyone that drives an auto JK....clean the lower part of your condinser on a routine basis (it's your factory transmission cooler). You will need to pop off the grill to really get it good and clean.
So if I'm following you correctly,
I pop off my grill and look at the radiator and its the bottom right hand part of the radiator? Anyone have a pic? I'm retarded when it comes to this stuff
Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Default tranny cooler heat sink

going to try a tranny heat sink wont glog up radiator space and will mount on the bottom so only need 3 inches. Told it will drop temp upto 40 % and is much better at lower speeds when we really need it. Fan and coil would be ideal for JK but to tight not enough room. You should check them out a Jeggs.com
Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default Heat sink tranny cooler

I added the heat sink tranny cooler from jegs, in an effort to not block up valuable radiator space and adversely affect my AC. The heat sink is an easy install, but as I do not have a temp gage I can not say how effective it is. I also like th fact that it added one more quart capacity, which helps with the heat load.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by element981
Are any of you having the TC issue being discussed on here? Don't or do you think Chrysler can/will use this against you for any and all tranny warranty issues? Like that guy being denied because his burnt ATF does not look/smell right. Just asking.
The dealer will not win an argument that a B&B, Derale, PermaCool etc. tranny coolers caused a premature tranny failure as long as they are installed properly. As a matter of fact, there are mountains of evidence that coolers will extend the life of the tranny.

Last edited by Blue; 05-16-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue
The dealer will not win an argument that a B&B, Derale, PermaCool etc. tranny coolers caused a premature tranny failure as long as they are installed properly. As a matter of fact, there are mountains of evidence that coolers will extend the life of the tranny.
Totally agree, DC would be in for a fight of their life if I properly installed an aftermarket trans cooler that IMPROVED the cooling capabilities over stock.

Quick Reply: installed my tranny cooler thursday