Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

installed my tranny cooler thursday

Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paratus13
I'm really interested in seeing how the hard lines turn out. I know it will look real clean. I guess you would use a tube bender?
Absolutely. Tubing bender and a double flaring tool. It'll look like an additional factory cooler when I'm done.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Absolutely. Tubing bender and a double flaring tool. It'll look like an additional factory cooler when I'm done.
I have many tools, but not a "double flaring tool". And I am not expierenced with a tubing bender....that is the main reason I went the rubber hose route

Mine works good - but doesnt look factory! Are you going to leave your factory cooler in the loop? It is so far down on the condinser and there is a plastic thing underneath it, that it attracts leaves, mud, etc, and it not easy to get clean.

For anyone that drives an auto JK....clean the lower part of your condinser on a routine basis (it's your factory transmission cooler). You will need to pop off the grill to really get it good and clean.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Where do you get them and what is the cost? Thanks
Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Jedi

I have many tools, but not a "double flaring tool". And I am not expierenced with a tubing bender....that is the main reason I went the rubber hose route

Mine works good - but doesnt look factory! Are you going to leave your factory cooler in the loop? It is so far down on the condinser and there is a plastic thing underneath it, that it attracts leaves, mud, etc, and it not easy to get clean.

For anyone that drives an auto JK....clean the lower part of your condinser on a routine basis (it's your factory transmission cooler). You will need to pop off the grill to really get it good and clean.
Yes, I am going to leave the factory cooler in the loop. Thanks for the heads up on keeping it clean, though. And hay, I wasn't dare sayin that there was anything wrong with the rubber hose deal. Being a old time drag racer, It's just a habit of mine to use the least amount of rubber hose in a system I can. The class I used to race in only allowed 12" of rubber hose in a given system. I figure since the factory rubber hose is already there to act as a flex agent between the engine and body, then that's enough for me. You did a good job on yours. And the thing is, you came back and posted valuable information regarding the difference it made. That's priceless info.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you planning on running a completely new line or are you going to splice one steel line into the other? Just curious. I prefer the steel too, but I have already purchased the braided steel hose and connectors along with the cooler a couple months ago, I just haven't installed them yet. ....mine also has the built in electric fan, so if blocking the radiator is a problem, hopefully the extra fan will remedy that.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by byucoug
Where do you get them and what is the cost? Thanks
Them? The coolers? I purchased mine from summit racing (summitracing.com) and it was about $50. Mine came with hoses, etc.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by kerryp
Are you planning on running a completely new line or are you going to splice one steel line into the other? Just curious. I prefer the steel too, but I have already purchased the braided steel hose and connectors along with the cooler a couple months ago, I just haven't installed them yet. ....mine also has the built in electric fan, so if blocking the radiator is a problem, hopefully the extra fan will remedy that.
I'm going to splice into the existing line coming OUT of the cooler. I'm not going to use compression fittings. I am going to use 3/8" flair fittings. The side coming out of the factory cooler will be the inlet for the additional cooler and the additional cooler outlet will be routed back to the transmission return line. Dammit, all of yall's questions are gittin me excited now. I wish my cooler would get here.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 05-09-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

I'm going to splice into the existing line coming OUT of the cooler. I'm not going to use compression fittings. I am going to use 3/8" flair fittings. The side coming out of the factory cooler will be the inlet for the additional cooler and the additional cooler outlet will be routed back to the transmission return line. Dammit, all of yall's questions are gittin me excited now. I wish my cooler would get here.
Did you get it from Summit? The had mine to me in 1 day since they are warehoused in GA.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi

Did you get it from Summit? The had mine to me in 1 day since they are warehoused in GA.
Naw. I got it from Atlantic Speed in NC. Summit wanted a dumbass 10 buck handling fee and Atlantic shipped for FREE. You're right though. Summit has awesome shipping speed.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lads I bought mine thru amazon, $46.00 including shipping- had it in 2 days. This cooler is the size of the factory condenser LOL. Yes Redneck I did splice it into the rubber flex joint in the original lines, not crazy about that but I wanted it in until I get enough time to do the lines right, I installed it Thursday on my lunch break at the shop.....

Quick Reply: installed my tranny cooler thursday