Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installed lift, now ESP / BAS warning light is on

Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Center your steering wheel.....it will fix the issue! It may take a few times to finally get it centered just right!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried the usual tricks . . . then figured it out.

I did the alignment and center the wheel and had the same on-ramp problems, even worse when driving on the blue ridge parkway. I also had the clunk in my steering column so I had Jeep replace he column which oddly fixed 90% of the ESP issue! My Jeep mechanic said it shouldnt have helped with ESP unless somehow my old column was defective or misaligned. However, the ESP would still kick on occassionally on the ramps.

Then I lowered my tire pressure by about 4 lbs each tire and now it never kicks on! (unless I'm really reckless, i.e. when it is suppose to kick on) I was at 32psi now I am at 28psi. Apparently, on the longer JKs the rear tires will "slip" a bit on a tight turn and set off the ESP but with the lower pressure they stick better. Not to mention at lower pressure the tires wear better and ride better.

SO, before you go disconnecting your ESP, try lowering your tire pressure a few pounds and see if it helps.

P.S. My column is starting to get that little clunk back but ESP is not kicking on, so I think the tire pressure is the real key to fixing the ESP.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the same problem yesterday

center your steering wheel.

turn your engine on, turn the wheel as far right and left as it will go, get on a big road and run your engine through all the gears, then park, turn it off, and when you turn it back on the light will go out.

Quick Reply: Installed lift, now ESP / BAS warning light is on