Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installed lift, now ESP / BAS warning light is on

Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed lift, now ESP / BAS warning light is on

I installed the OME lift this weekend (coils, shocks, adjustable track bars, sway bar links). All went relatively smoothly and I'm very happy with it.

But now the ESP / BAS warning light is on, indicating the electronic stability program is no longer working. I was careful to loosen or free up wires, brake lines, etc when lowering the axles to not stretch or damage anything. So I'm not sure what happened...

Any ideas?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Esp/bas

Sterring wheel off center? How does alignment feel?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 AM
JK Junkie

I'm about to install my lift, and I think other have had this issue when their steering wheel hasn't been straightened perfectly after a lift. Then I think you need to drive around for awhile for the light to go off.

I may be wrong though, I would do a search, there are a ton of threads on this issue that may be able to help you.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

re-center your steering wheel. That should fix it. Sometimes it takes a few minutes after the adjustment for the computer to make the correction to the ESP/BAS light to turn off.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

If the light is on when the vehicle isn't moving there is something wrong with one of the sensors. Check all the connectors and wires.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

You should get it proffesionally aligned and the steering wheel centered. I had this issue after I put my lift on. I had centered the steering wheel the centered the best I could...obviously wasn't good enough. Took it to get it aligned and it fixed the problem. Have never had an issue since.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Once I got my allignment, it went away for me as well. Just a note now that on freeway on and off ramps, I have to slow down quite a bit more than I did before or the system will kick in and the brakes spaz out. Getting more used to it but it was terrifying at first.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pettym
Once I got my allignment, it went away for me as well. Just a note now that on freeway on and off ramps, I have to slow down quite a bit more than I did before or the system will kick in and the brakes spaz out. Getting more used to it but it was terrifying at first.
Something is still wrong then. Either your wheel is not exactly centered or you don't have enough caster. My ESP never fires when it shouldn't. It took me a while to get everything dialed in to that point though. When I first installed my lift I didn't dial in enough caster. When I dialed in more caster it stopped. I took me a long time thinking about it to figure out why caster would have an effect on whether or not the ESP fired in a curve.

Here is my theory why caster matters when it comes to ESP issues. I think your steering has some play in it. You can move the steering wheel back and forth from the center point quite a bit before it actually moves the tires. When you have enough caster, when you are turning to the right the wheels are pushing back left and they take the slop/play out of the system. Likewise when you are turning left the caster forces the wheels back to the right taking up the slop or play in the system. When you don't have enough caster and you are in a turn the wheels aren't being forced back to the center. Both the steering wheel and tires can move around in that area of play/slop. That can cause the difference between the steering angle and between the vehicles direction of travel to be large enough to cause the ESP to fire.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pettym
Exactly what is happening to me. First few times freaked me out, now I know to just slow down and be ready for it. If I remember, I just turn it off before the ramp and back on again once I am on the highway.
I have had a professional alignment and that got rid of the deathwobble and the ESP light around all corners, now it is just certain ramps that I have issues. The one thing I have not done yet is reflash the computer with the bigger tires. Only put 33's, I know I should do it sooner rather than later. Wonder if there is a mismatch in the computer that causes it to think there is issues?

Last edited by Avalanche40; 05-17-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default 07 jk unlimited

Tried everything with mine and finally disconnected. I had to have dealership to do it. 08 and above, you can do yourself by reading owners manuel.

Quick Reply: Installed lift, now ESP / BAS warning light is on