Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installed Lift

Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Lift

Well I installed my lift Friday night, well into early Saturday. I installed a Skyjacker 2.5 coil lift with 3/4 front spacer, nitro shocks and rear track bar relocation bracket with relocation support brace. I replaced my 2 inch BB. The install was pretty straight forward and I did not have any issues. However, I did get more than 2.5 out of the lift (4 dr sahara). Is that bad? Also installed a skyjacker steering stab. Drove jeep and all seems well. Went the next morning to get an alignment and mechanic told me it was not neccesary....hmmmm. Do you guys think that is BS? Also, I question why there is no relocation on the front trackbar? Is this safe? Am I going to have any issues? By the way I read all the posts on broken welds on the axles. I do think the rear is fine and feel safe about it. Did any of you running this lift add any other components? Thanks for your help / opinions.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

LOL

Well, Off hand, I would think that the reason its taller than 2.5" is the 3/4" you added to that....so, right off the bat...what you REAlLY installed, was a 3.25" Suspension Lift....as its the FRONT you are concerned about.

That, plus new coils sometimes need time to settle a bit.

As you went over the 3" SL limit, your front track bar may be pulling the front axle over a bit more than you thought...so your front thrust angle may be off a bit, etc....and your toe might be increased by the steering pulling the ends in, etc.

Your kit was designed to account for 2.5"...you did 3.25", so, now the kit doesn't have all the parts, the one's that might have been included if you'd ordered a 3" SL kit, etc.

As you may have re-adjusted the steering, etc...and YOUR JK's individual spec may have had had room to play... its possible that its within spec (possible) as far as alignment...or...that you need a new alignment place.

An adjustable front track bar may be in your future for example.

Maybe get a second opinion from a place that does a lot of lifted truck alignments.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackjp4dr
....However, I did get more than 2.5 out of the lift (4 dr sahara). Is that bad?
naw, that is normal and it will settle over time giving you closer to 2.5" in the end.

Also installed a skyjacker steering stab. Drove jeep and all seems well. Went the next morning to get an alignment and mechanic told me it was not neccesary....hmmmm. Do you guys think that is BS?
nope, he's telling you the truth. with the exception of recentering your steering wheel, nothing more is needed. or, i should say that nothing more can be done without adjustable control arms and trackbars. you will be fine.

Also, I question why there is no relocation on the front trackbar? Is this safe? Am I going to have any issues? By the way I read all the posts on broken welds on the axles. I do think the rear is fine and feel safe about it. Did any of you running this lift add any other components? Thanks for your help / opinions.
for the amount of lift you have, it is not needed and yes, you will be safe
Old 09-09-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
naw, that is normal and it will settle over time giving you closer to 2.5" in the end.

nope, he's telling you the truth. with the exception of recentering your steering wheel, nothing more is needed. or, i should say that nothing more can be done without adjustable control arms and trackbars. you will be fine.

for the amount of lift you have, it is not needed and yes, you will be safe
WOL ....your the man! Thanks for the reassurance, I was just looking at front adjustable trackbar from TF. May buy one in the near future. This was my first experience doing a lift and was a little concerned about what I need and do not need.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackjp4dr
WOL ....your the man! Thanks for the reassurance, I was just looking at front adjustable trackbar from TF. May buy one in the near future. This was my first experience doing a lift and was a little concerned about what I need and do not need.
LOL!! my pleasure. if you can, i would get one just to get your axle centered again but i can tell you from experience that driving with your axle slightly shifted over won't be a problem.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

i ran my 2"BB for e few months with no problems then got the death wobble at highway speeds , i took it in and my alignment was off, had it done and the problem was solved..though i never read the end of the instructions which said to have it aligned. is it a 2dr vs a 4dr thing? dunno, im just adding my 2 cents and just wanna say keep an eye out for the death wobble.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is nice that the mechanic was honest and didn't try to charge you for an alignment that couldn't be done!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah.....I kinda thought maybe he did not know what he was talking about. Good thing I did not show my ignorance and argue with him. LOL Im new to jeeps, so I knew to keep my mouth shut and come here for advice.

Quick Reply: Installed Lift