Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installed 4.56 gears on an auto 2017 and blew all the seals!

Old 03-18-2021, 08:29 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

On a side note, the seals were probably leaking right away. The first highway trip was likely where the oil got hotter, thinner, and had more time to leak enough to ruin the gears.

I hate to say this, but when a mechanic fails at this basic level, on two out of two axles, it's time to take it to someone else. Especially with the "big gears" excuse for the leaks, I wouldn't trust them to put on a lugnut.
The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'm really sorry about this situation, cuz it does suck, and not being there to handle it yourself makes it worse.

Originally Posted by Jerry68
- I'm 8000 miles away on deployment and have no idea how to help her😂
I presume by this you mean a military deployment. If so, thank you first off. Second, head over to this thread and you can get set up with a military icon -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/anno...ilable-340248/

Some spouses take an active role in things and some are the type that literally just want to turn the key and drive a vehicle. We're a pretty friendly group here. If you think it might be helpful you should have your wife join as well. There's a lot of problem solving that has gone on over the years and a wealth of knowledge exists in the old posts and the members that visit regularly. Sometimes it's just reading through old things and sometimes it's posting up a problem in hopes of getting some quick responses. Either way, definitely stick around.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

That must have been one hell of a leak if it lost enough oil in a week to destroy the gearset. Are there puddles of oil where the jeep is normally parked?
Old 03-19-2021, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Pillsworth
That must have been one hell of a leak if it lost enough oil in a week to destroy the gearset. Are there puddles of oil where the jeep is normally parked?
There were no puddles and no leaks, when the seals blew we think they all blew close to the same time just due to the severity of how much fluid was all over the jeep, or that was when she noticed it because it was enough pressure to force out the fluid everywhere.

Quick Reply: Installed 4.56 gears on an auto 2017 and blew all the seals!