Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installed 4.56 gears on an auto 2017 and blew all the seals!

Old 03-18-2021, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed 4.56 gears on an auto 2017 and blew all the seals!

I had a shop install the 4.56 gears and a few weeks later my wife is driving down the road and all the seals blow out. The shop inspected the gears afterwards and said they were just "too big" a other friend of mine agreed, however all the research I've found says 35s with 4.56 is the perfect crossover between daily driving and offroad. A few more facts.
- she was on the highway doing 60ish at 2700 -3k (not in o/d)
- the shop put a different gear oil in than extreme terrain said should be used which is 85/140
- I'm 8000 miles away on deployment and have no idea how to help her😂
Old 03-18-2021, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Which seals did it blow? 4.56 isn't too much gear, I've got it and run 70mph every day on 35's. I installed it myself at that. Gear oil is going to be negligible in my opinion. Should they have a good gear oil, sure, but really- and oil is better than none. I run 85w-140 but have mixed in 75w-90 in a pinch.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

Welcome Jerry68.. Thanks for your service.. Which axle.. Front or Rear? NOW.. the shop that did the install should "man-up" as something is not installed correctly.. Seals just don't Blow OUT.. I see you have a 2017 Sport.. it should have a Dana 30 Front and 44 rear.. the Dana 30 will not handle 4.56 gears WITHOUT Changing the Differential CARRIER. If your Friend is in Jacksonville have them check all the receipts for everything; find out why the shop failed to follow the instructions on gear oil and also ask the friend to visually inspect for gear oil leakage.

JKF members in the Jacksonville Fl area - your help would be great or at least a referral to a Good Shop.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:49 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

My first thought would be plugged vent or kinked vent hose, size of gears doesn’t matter
Old 03-18-2021, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Which seals did it blow? 4.56 isn't too much gear, I've got it and run 70mph every day on 35's. I installed it myself at that. Gear oil is going to be negligible in my opinion. Should they have a good gear oil, sure, but really- and oil is better than none. I run 85w-140 but have mixed in 75w-90 in a pinch.
Both axles and diffs and the seal around the pinion, what's frustrating is the kit we gave them came with seals but the shop didnt replace them they kept the old ones. You also have to realize the shop knows they are dealing with a woman and as sad as it is to say that matters
Also more of a shade tree mechanic and I'm always learning so I apologize if I dont use the proper terminology.
both front and rear axles and the seals around the axle shafts to clarify further.
thanks for the help gents

Last edited by Jerry68; 03-18-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Welcome Jerry68.. Thanks for your service.. Which axle.. Front or Rear? NOW.. the shop that did the install should "man-up" as something is not installed correctly.. Seals just don't Blow OUT.. I see you have a 2017 Sport.. it should have a Dana 30 Front and 44 rear.. the Dana 30 will not handle 4.56 gears WITHOUT Changing the Differential CARRIER. If your Friend is in Jacksonville have them check all the receipts for everything; find out why the shop failed to follow the instructions on gear oil and also ask the friend to visually inspect for gear oil leakage.

JKF members in the Jacksonville Fl area - your help would be great or at least a referral to a Good Shop.
The shop did install an open carrier on the front, but they did not install the new seals I gave them, they claimed the old seals looked fine. Now the gears are all chewed up and if they dont admit they messed up I'm out for labor and have to buy new gears. Any advice?
Old 03-18-2021, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The rear axle seals usually are reinstalled without issue as they sit out on the ends of the axle shafts. They're easy to damage though. Your indicator would be wet brake backing plates- if you knew what to look for, most people in general don't or won't. The front axle is similar except the seals are closer to the center section. Your gear set most likely came with new seals and on a 2017, I wouldn't have changed to the included seals either as they are inferior to what the vehicle came with. Again- the axle shafts have to be reinstalled carefully otherwise it's easy to tear the seal....ask me how I know.

That being said- shade tree or not, the fault happened as a result of reinstallation. It should have been noticed by the operator but it's easy to overlook those as residual oil from the install. Usually you'll get a 500 mile break in and then you've got to change the fluid. At that point, he should have noticed it and mentioned that it needed more work.

Regarding the gear set on your differential carrier- that change is only necessary (to a different carrier) if the vehicle originally had the 3.21 gears. Mine did not so I was able to reuse both front and rear carriers.

Side bar- axle seals are cheap, labor to do them is not. They're just labor intensive to get to them, though not difficult.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Which shop was it done at?
Old 03-18-2021, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I don't think I've ever multi-quoted so many in one post.

Originally Posted by Jerry68
The shop inspected the gears afterwards and said they were just "too big" a other friend of mine agreed, however all the research I've found says 35s with 4.56 is the perfect crossover between daily driving and offroad.
This is just total bulsh. Anyone telling you that 4.56 are "too big" have no clue what they are talking about. If they mean geared too low, that is a bunch of crap. If they mean "too big" as in they needed a different carrier, the ring gear literally wouldn't have bolted up to the old carrier. You could run that jeep with 5.38 gears which is as low as you could go, not adviseable with 35s, but even then you're not going to blow all the seals out, you'd just run really high RPMs.

I'd agree that the different weight of gear oil was not the difference maker here.

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
the Dana 30 will not handle 4.56 gears WITHOUT Changing the Differential CARRIER.
+1, as noted, the 4.56 gears literally wouldn't fit without the proper carrier. The ring gear bolts would not line up.

Originally Posted by Dat
My first thought would be plugged vent or kinked vent hose, size of gears doesn’t matter
+1 here that the axle isn't being vented properly, and/or also likely they jammed the front shafts in carelessly and knicked the seals in the process. Anyone charging people to regear should know better though.

Both axles and diffs and the seal around the pinion, what's frustrating is the kit we gave them came with seals but the shop didnt replace them they kept the old ones.
both front and rear axles and the seals around the axle shafts to clarify further.
Literally no way to do a regear without pulling, and mangling, the pinion seals so those had to be replaced which I think is what you're getting at here. The front seals SHOULD have been replaced regardless. It's literally like 5 mins cuz everything is out anyhow. The rear seals do not get replaced during a normal regear (as Karl notes later).

The shop did install an open carrier on the front, but they did not install the new seals I gave them, they claimed the old seals looked fine. Now the gears are all chewed up and if they dont admit they messed up I'm out for labor and have to buy new gears. Any advice?
The gears are chewed up cuz you lost that much gear oil and they weren't getting lubed, or cuz they eff'd up the regear in general? I mean, kinda sounds like they didn't have the pinion preload correct which lead to quick failure of the pinion seals. This could have lead to a lot more heat in general and failed axle shaft seals too I guess.

The rear axle seals usually are reinstalled without issue as they sit out on the ends of the axle shafts. They're easy to damage though. Your indicator would be wet brake backing plates- if you knew what to look for, most people in general don't or won't. The front axle is similar except the seals are closer to the center section. Your gear set most likely came with new seals and on a 2017, I wouldn't have changed to the included seals either as they are inferior to what the vehicle came with. Again- the axle shafts have to be reinstalled carefully otherwise it's easy to tear the seal....ask me how I know.

That being said- shade tree or not, the fault happened as a result of reinstallation. It should have been noticed by the operator but it's easy to overlook those as residual oil from the install. Usually you'll get a 500 mile break in and then you've got to change the fluid. At that point, he should have noticed it and mentioned that it needed more work.

Regarding the gear set on your differential carrier- that change is only necessary (to a different carrier) if the vehicle originally had the 3.21 gears. Mine did not so I was able to reuse both front and rear carriers.

Side bar- axle seals are cheap, labor to do them is not. They're just labor intensive to get to them, though not difficult.
+1 on everything Karl said here and what I probably already reiterated above.

In general, it sounds like a real crap situation unfortunately. It sounds like maybe you purchased the parts and took them to the shop? If so, this is the reason you always let the shop purchase the parts too. That way regardless of part failure or install error, it's all out of your hands.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I don't think I've ever multi-quoted so many in one post.

This is just total bulsh. Anyone telling you that 4.56 are "too big" have no clue what they are talking about. If they mean geared too low, that is a bunch of crap. If they mean "too big" as in they needed a different carrier, the ring gear literally wouldn't have bolted up to the old carrier. You could run that jeep with 5.38 gears which is as low as you could go, not adviseable with 35s, but even then you're not going to blow all the seals out, you'd just run really high RPMs.

I'd agree that the different weight of gear oil was not the difference maker here.

+1, as noted, the 4.56 gears literally wouldn't fit without the proper carrier. The ring gear bolts would not line up.

+1 here that the axle isn't being vented properly, and/or also likely they jammed the front shafts in carelessly and knicked the seals in the process. Anyone charging people to regear should know better though.

Literally no way to do a regear without pulling, and mangling, the pinion seals so those had to be replaced which I think is what you're getting at here. The front seals SHOULD have been replaced regardless. It's literally like 5 mins cuz everything is out anyhow. The rear seals do not get replaced during a normal regear (as Karl notes later).

The gears are chewed up cuz you lost that much gear oil and they weren't getting lubed, or cuz they eff'd up the regear in general? I mean, kinda sounds like they didn't have the pinion preload correct which lead to quick failure of the pinion seals. This could have lead to a lot more heat in general and failed axle shaft seals too I guess.

+1 on everything Karl said here and what I probably already reiterated above.

In general, it sounds like a real crap situation unfortunately. It sounds like maybe you purchased the parts and took them to the shop? If so, this is the reason you always let the shop purchase the parts too. That way regardless of part failure or install error, it's all out of your hands.
so what I'm hearing is the shop made a mistake with the install, and I agree lesson learned on buying the parts myself. The jeep drove for about a week after the regear and its first trip on the highway is when it crapped out, thank you all for the help I'm glad I found a good community to be apart of!

Quick Reply: Installed 4.56 gears on an auto 2017 and blew all the seals!