Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Installation of Drake Billet Manual Shifter Knob

Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation of Drake Billet Manual Shifter Knob

So for Christmas I got the black Drake Off Road Billet shifter knobs for the manual transmission and transfer case. This is for a 2012. I had trouble getting the knob off the transmission shifter, but after turning half way around with a pipe wrench it slid off with ease. But I also had a time getting the new knob on. There are no instructions that come with the knob and there should be. After searching for about 30 minutes online, I finally found what I was missing. Under the tire like rubber that goes around the knob is a screw. Remove the rubber and place the knob on the shifter. Then use an allen wrench to tighten it to the shifter. Put the rubber back on and you're good to go. I know this may sound pathetic, but when the stock knob isn't secured with a screw it is assumed that the aftermarket wouldn't need one. I will post about the transfer case knob when I get a chance to do it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VolsJeep
So for Christmas I got the black Drake Off Road Billet shifter knobs for the manual transmission and transfer case. This is for a 2012. I had trouble getting the knob off the transmission shifter, but after turning half way around with a pipe wrench it slid off with ease. But I also had a time getting the new knob on. There are no instructions that come with the knob and there should be. After searching for about 30 minutes online, I finally found what I was missing. Under the tire like rubber that goes around the knob is a screw. Remove the rubber and place the knob on the shifter. Then use an allen wrench to tighten it to the shifter. Put the rubber back on and you're good to go. I know this may sound pathetic, but when the stock knob isn't secured with a screw it is assumed that the aftermarket wouldn't need one. I will post about the transfer case knob when I get a chance to do it. Hope this helps.
Thank you for posting this! Great info! Please, let us know about the other knob, too!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear you had issues...both of my shifter knobs came with instructions.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue , was a few minutes before I figured it out. It then came loose after a week or so. I removed it and applied a very thin layer or electrical tape under. Replaced the knob, srewed it down, put rubber back and good to go. Has been on for 4 months now nice and tight.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

lets see em!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came with instructions as well

I had a fun time trying to get my stock knob off though - pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled until my arm felt like it was about to pull out of my shoulder socket longer before the stock knob would budge... then I happened to wiggle it back and forth just a little bit and it suddenly came right off like it was nothing. On mine (2010) there was a flat spot on the stick that matches up with a flat spot inside the stock knob, so not exactly conducive to trying to twist it off with a pipe wrench.

Only other tip I have is to wear driving gloves on a cold winter morning - this thing gets COLD!

Quick Reply: Installation of Drake Billet Manual Shifter Knob