Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Install Winch AFTER Lod Mid Width Front Bumper?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midwesterner
I measured mine up prior to installation fo the Superwinch and found out that the spool would have been off center from the fairlead. I drilled new holes that I believe were about 1/2-3/4" further towards the passenger side. I thought it might have been a Superwinch thing but I guess other winches have the same problems.

Any comments about this from LOD?
Heres a pick with the winch installed. You can see that the winch and fairlead are centered nicely but as I said in my prior post I had to drill new holes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	114_1444.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	33097  
Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Heres a pick with the winch installed. You can see that the winch and fairlead are centered nicely but as I said in my prior post I had to drill new holes.

The superwinch is offset different from the other winches and if you specify when you order the bumper that you are running it we put the holes in the winchplate for you. The holes in the winchplate are slotted so you can move your winch a bit side to side but the superwinch requires new holes to be drilled just as you did.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Oh I also forgot to tell you that you have to remember that your bumper mounts are also slotted so you can slide the bumper side to side a bit also. So make sure when you mount the bumper and winch you align everything where you want it before you tighten it.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hammerhead
Mount the winch after the bumper is on. Taking the grill off before putting the winch in will give you more room to work with.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...&highlight=lod
Not possible with my setup: If you have a Power Plant, there's not enough room to remove the grill with the winch in place. I just thought I'd add that in case someone went to mount one up, got done, and then realized, "oh crap, I got to pull the winch back out to put my grill back on".

The Power Plant is a big mo-fo.

-Randy
Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freak

Anyone else care to chime in...should I remove the grill or not?
If it were me, I'd removed the grill, place the winch in the bumper cavity pushed as far forward as possible, replace grill, align and bolt up the winch.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARinmyJK
If it were me, I'd removed the grill, place the winch in the bumper cavity pushed as far forward as possible, replace grill, align and bolt up the winch.
Yep, what he said. Keep in mind where you are choosing to route cables in the process.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the LOD Midwidth and the Powerplant. I definately installed the bumper before the winch. I am pretty sure that I took off the grill if it said to in the instructions. The only issue that I had was that the Powerplant did not fit in the LOD Midwith because the cut out in the top of the bumper was not large enough or the holes were drilled in the wrong place on the bumper. I had to put some spacers underneath the Powerplant to lift it. This allowed just enough clearance for the front angle of the Powerplant to fit. I don't know how to post pictures, but if anyone else had this issue and needs help just PM me.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

When I did mine, I did remove the grill but before reinstalling it, I busted off the lower three clips on the bottome of it. This way, it is much easier to remove and reset in the future. No difference in function since I did it. the only tie I notice it is when I wash it and put pressure on the lower part of the grille.m
Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

preparing for the mid install on this bumper...i saw a post about putting the winch plate on with the bumper and then installing the bumper. Winch last...is that correct?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JEP THNG
preparing for the mid install on this bumper...i saw a post about putting the winch plate on with the bumper and then installing the bumper. Winch last...is that correct?
anyone?
bump.....

Quick Reply: Install Winch AFTER Lod Mid Width Front Bumper?