Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Install Winch AFTER Lod Mid Width Front Bumper?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install Winch AFTER Lod Mid Width Front Bumper?

Has anybody installed a winch on the LOD mid width front bumper after installing the bumper on the jeep?

The project JK site tells you to install the winch, then lift up the bumper and install it on the jeep. The problem is, I took off my stock bumper before I read this. I ordered my winch, but its on 2 month back order. So, I either have to install the LOD bumper and then take it off again later, or drive around with no bumper (not sure if that's even legal). I'd prefer to not do any of this twice...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

i have the lod shorty with the hoop and in my directions they said to slip the winch in after it was on, but it should be the same for the mid?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I installed my Superwinch EPI9 after installing the bumper and it was a piece of cake. I personally wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

I think it might depend on the hoop style (or lack of a hoop) vs. the height of the winch.

I don't have a hoop on mine, and I have a Power Plant (tall winch). I have had it off and on a couple of times, and it's a piece of cake mounting it after the bumper is installed. That might not be the case if I had a low hoop.

-Randy
Old 11-19-2009, 02:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by midwesterner
I installed my Superwinch EPI9 after installing the bumper and it was a piece of cake. I personally wouldn't do it any other way.
I forgot to mention my bumper is the LOD midwidth with hoop; easy as pie to install winch afterwards.

All this talk about cake and pie is making me hungry:-)
Old 11-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

You want to Install the winch after you have the bumper on the Jeep. It makes it easier to install the bumper without the winch in the way. The winch will then Just bolt up from the bottom side.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mount the winch after the bumper is on. Taking the grill off before putting the winch in will give you more room to work with.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...&highlight=lod
Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the LoD shorty and installed the witch after I had the bumper installed. But for some reason it just didn't look right.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the LOD middy and put my XD9000I in afterward and also did NOT remove the grille. I just put a towel over the grill when dropping it in, just for protection.

What I didn't do was take it back out after finding out that the fairlead didn't line up perfectly with the winch. I took a 'wait and see' approach and now wished that I had drilled new mounting holes for the winch because it doesn't spool well and is damaging the cable a little as it rolls over on the end that is not covered well by the fairlead.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Machine154
I did the LOD middy and put my XD9000I in afterward and also did NOT remove the grille. I just put a towel over the grill when dropping it in, just for protection.

What I didn't do was take it back out after finding out that the fairlead didn't line up perfectly with the winch. I took a 'wait and see' approach and now wished that I had drilled new mounting holes for the winch because it doesn't spool well and is damaging the cable a little as it rolls over on the end that is not covered well by the fairlead.
I measured mine up prior to installation fo the Superwinch and found out that the spool would have been off center from the fairlead. I drilled new holes that I believe were about 1/2-3/4" further towards the passenger side. I thought it might have been a Superwinch thing but I guess other winches have the same problems.

Any comments about this from LOD?

Quick Reply: Install Winch AFTER Lod Mid Width Front Bumper?