Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Install time for Rugged Ridge bumper

Old 11-09-2010, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheQuiet1
Thanks for starting this thread oriffx. I'm looking at adding this same bumper to my Sahara and was wondering how much front end sag I could expect? Mine would be the non winch version with hoop and end caps. OP or anyone that has this bumper feel free to chime in. Oriffx, Can you let us know some before and after measurments, or just an estimate on how much sag you experience with yours? I'm not in a position to modify the suspension right now but this bumper looks awsome and I want one!! I look forward to seeing the pics when installed
Sure. I'll take measurements before and after. I bought the winch version but I haven't gotten the winch yet (on its way). I suspect that the sag or rake will be noticeable. I plan on getting a small lift (2" or 2.5") to address this.

Pics this weekend....
Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oriffx
Sure. I'll take measurements before and after. I bought the winch version but I haven't gotten the winch yet (on its way). I suspect that the sag or rake will be noticeable. I plan on getting a small lift (2" or 2.5") to address this.

Pics this weekend....
My suspension is still stock so currently has the factory rake anyway. I'm hoping this bumper, especially without a winch, won't add to much more to it. I plan to replace the rear bumper when finances allow so eventually everything should settle back close to original stance. In the meantime I'll just throw some gear in the back to balance it back out.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Hello all,

Well, I just pulled the trigger and got a 2010 JK Unlimited Sahara Deep Water Blue. IT IS AWESOME!! I have had many high end cars but this thing rocks!! I'm starting my mods now and got a few quotes.

I want to put the RR non winch bumper with the hoop and non storage end caps. I got a quote for the install and they said 4 hours total. Does this seem fair?? I read the instructions and it's a matter of 8 bolts (4 on each frame). Am I being to simplistic??

From start to finish, I think my front bumper took between one and two hours. Removing the original one took longer than installing the new one. The stock bumper wasn't as heavy as I expected and I had a couple of lads help me lift the RR one on. I also had the winch already installed on the bumper and I didn't want to scratch the powdercoating or risk scratching the body of the Jeep. It literally sits on the frame as you bolt it on.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for starting this thread oriffx. I'm looking at adding this same bumper to my Sahara and was wondering how much front end sag I could expect? Mine would be the non winch version with hoop and end caps. OP or anyone that has this bumper feel free to chime in. Oriffx, Can you let us know some before and after measurments, or just an estimate on how much sag you experience with yours? I'm not in a position to modify the suspension right now but this bumper looks awsome and I want one!! I look forward to seeing the pics when installed

Front SAG???? What am I getting myself involved here??? How heavy is this thing? I have for the time being a stock JK, how will this effect performance because of the added weight? Sorry for the ignorant questions, just would like to know what I am getting myself into here.

HG07JKRubi, your rig looks awesome!
Oriffx, those instructions seem simple enough but why do I get the feeling I could really screw this up, I am very concerned about the fog lights because I have HID's and was wondering if that effects the install with where to put the ballasts. Any insight would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
Front SAG???? What am I getting myself involved here??? How heavy is this thing? I have for the time being a stock JK, how will this effect performance because of the added weight? Sorry for the ignorant questions, just would like to know what I am getting myself into here.
I can't find an exact weight on the RR XHD bumper with different attachment options but I'm sure the OP when he receives his, or someone who already has one, can chime in. Here is a good example of the added weight you can expect from aftermarket bumpers:

original thread is here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...bumper+weights

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
I think it would be helpful for people to post the weights of some of the different aftermarket bumpers that are available. Maybe a list of bumper weights in one location would make it easier for people to choose an aftermarket bumper. I'll list the weights I know, and weights I found on other threads, and if other people can fill in more information that would be great.

Stock front bumper (without tow hooks) - 26 lbs

Expedition One Basic DX front winch bumper - 24 lbs

Olympic 4x4 500 Series Rock Bumper (front) - 30 lbs

Shrockworks Stubby w/ winch plate - 55 lbs

Aberle aluminum front winch bumper - 61 lbs

LOD mid width w/o stinger - 72 lbs

Fab Four stubby front winch bumper - 80 lbs

Rock Hard 4x4 Parts stubby front winch bumper - 86 lbs

Durango 4x4 Grizzly Stubby front bumper - 92 lbs

ARB front winch bumper - 95 lbs

Red Rock Fab front bumper - 95 lbs

Shrockworks mid-width front bumper - 96 lbs

Pure Jeep Crawler Stubby front bumper - 97 lbs

Warn tube front bumper - 104 lbs

Durango 4x4 Grizzly Full Width front bumper - 105 lbs

Expedition One Trail Series front bumper - 105 lbs

Smittybilt SRC front bumper - 110 lbs

Teraflex front bumper - 111 lbs

OR Fab Stubby front winch bumper w/ stinger - 110 lbs

AEV front winch bumper - 116 lbs

Rampage Full Width front bumper - 130 lbs

Fab Four full width front bumper - 140 lbs

Warn front bumper - 155 lbs

Rock Hard 4x4 Parts fullwidth front winch bumper with hoop - 160 lbs
Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo

HG07JKRubi, your rig looks awesome!
Oriffx, those instructions seem simple enough but why do I get the feeling I could really screw this up, I am very concerned about the fog lights because I have HID's and was wondering if that effects the install with where to put the ballasts. Any insight would be great.

Thanks
Trust me you can't screw it up. With the exception of the fog light connections and 8 bolts, everything else is plastic. Even if you break all the plastic in 100 pieces and all the plastic set screws in a 1000 pieces, it doesn't matter. You won't be using them anymore once you mount the RR bumper.

If I can do it, you can do it.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't find an exact weight on the RR XHD bumper with different attachment options but I'm sure the OP when he receives his, or someone who already has one, can chime in. Here is a good example of the added weight you can expect from aftermarket bumpers:

original thread is here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...bumper+weights
I just got the boxes today. It comes in three boxes...one for bumper, one for the hoop, and one for the end caps.

I'll weigh them and post pics this weekend....
Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 AM
JK Junkie

To remove factory bumper.....

1. Start with the plastic air dam underneath the bumper. There are six plastic set screws that secure the plastic air dam undereath the bumper. Four in the front. Two in the back. Don't use a Phillips screwdriver. Useless. Just pry and pop them out. I used the back of a small hammer. Don't worry if you break them. You won't need them. They don't come off easy. Very frustrating.

2. Remove fog light bulbs. Squeeze the housing and them pop out. Very easy.

3. Detach the bumper from the frame rails. There are a total of 8 bolts. 4 on each frame. You'll need socket wrench w/extension and a friend. It's heavy.

4. Remove plastic cover in front of the grille. There are two plastic set screws on top. Phillips screwdriver worked here. Just unscrew and take off.

That's it. Onto RR install....pics soon.

And there is a good write-up on here as well ... Factory bumper removal
Old 11-13-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Seems easy enough, is there any reason why one person couldn't do this by himself and do I need a lift? Can I do this on my back???lol I know it's been mentioned before but I have a basic tool set and even more basic skill when it's involving a car, is there anything else I might need, and please explain why is it so difficult to install with the fog lights? Thanks
Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did mine and installed the winch and wired it all in about 3 hours with beverage breaks, and fully read the instructions...kinda. It was very simple. If you can turn a wrench you can do it. I actually installed the bumper then the winch as i couldn't handle all that weight myself. It was a little awkward to tighten the winch bolts but its doable. I would suggest if you can handle the weight install the winch before the bumper is on and plan out how you want your winch wires to be ran up to the battery. The most tedious part was the winch wires, making sure they were out of the way of everything and somewhat tucked away nicely. Here's some pics of mine.

The first two were older then i bedlined the grill. Made a 100% difference. If you are planning on doing the bedlined grill i would suggest doing it first as it was pretty tight and tough to get the grill back out for me to bedline the grill. I did also get some front sag from the added weight of the bumper but i'm ok with it. My BB and 35's are perfect for me. I kinda like the rake a little bit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1103001826.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	101925   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-07-23_13.16.37..jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	101926   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-24_14.44.35..jpg
Views:	108
Size:	98.1 KB