Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Install time for Rugged Ridge bumper

Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Installed my RR winch bumper in my garage... had a little mishap with the utility knife while cutting one of the zip ties for the fog lights and ended up at Pottstown Memorial Hospital (know anyone that works there ) I ended up getting a dozen stitches in my finger but once I got home all bandaged up I finished the install in no time !!! Start to finish about 4 hours... (less the time at the hospital ). I would say let me know if you need any help but I'm sure you don't want a pool of blood on your garage floor... and neither do I.

Good Luck.
WOW, thats too bad about your finger. And to think you finnished the install with stitches.

Can't wait to see the pictures. When you were taking the old bumper off, did you just go in there ripping stuff off the Jeep or did you have a game plan?

That's why I would like to know what to do first. It's one thing to see how it goes on with the instructions, it's another looking at the Jeep and saying where do I begin.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Installed my RR winch bumper in my garage... had a little mishap with the utility knife while cutting one of the zip ties for the fog lights and ended up at Pottstown Memorial Hospital (know anyone that works there ) I ended up getting a dozen stitches in my finger but once I got home all bandaged up I finished the install in no time !!! Start to finish about 4 hours... (less the time at the hospital ). I would say let me know if you need any help but I'm sure you don't want a pool of blood on your garage floor... and neither do I.

Good Luck.
Quick question for you since you just installed the same bumper I'm about to install. Did your front end sag at all with your TF 2.5" lift? Any pics!? Thanks..
Old 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MSmitty
Quick question for you since you just installed the same bumper I'm about to install. Did your front end sag at all with your TF 2.5" lift? Any pics!? Thanks..
With all that weight on the front it's pretty common to just add a 3/4" spacer on top of the from coils. I'm happy with the stance at this point.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
WOW, thats too bad about your finger. And to think you finnished the install with stitches.

Can't wait to see the pictures. When you were taking the old bumper off, did you just go in there ripping stuff off the Jeep or did you have a game plan?

That's why I would like to know what to do first. It's one thing to see how it goes on with the instructions, it's another looking at the Jeep and saying where do I begin.

Thanks
If I remember right there were detailed instructions for taking the factory bumper off which I followed. There was just no mention to be careful when cutting the zip ties for the fog lights
Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can one find said detailed instructions. I'm installing my front this weekend!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JaxLoki
Where can one find said detailed instructions. I'm installing my front this weekend!
OK...maybe not that detailed. But I may have followed another write-up on the forum for removing the factory front bumper.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/93750.pdf
Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed my front and rear bumpers this weekend. I had the stock front and rear bumpers off within a half hour. Use wire dikes to cut the zip ties on the wiring for the fog lights. Use a wire brush on the studs for the fog lights on the RR bumper before you try to install the tiny nuts. And have a friend help you. A second set of hands made it very easy. The back bumper was tricky to get all the bolts to thread into the holes. Not that big of a deal though. Two guys can do front and back in an hour, at most an hour and a half. The tire carrier will add about a half hour also. Two hours tops for all this with an impact, a couple extentions and a swivel.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

With all that weight on the front it's pretty common to just add a 3/4" spacer on top of the from coils. I'm happy with the stance at this point.

NICE!!! Aggressive but not over the top.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Steps to remove factory bumper

To remove factory bumper.....

1. Start with the plastic air dam underneath the bumper. There are six plastic set screws that secure the plastic air dam undereath the bumper. Four in the front. Two in the back. Don't use a Phillips screwdriver. Useless. Just pry and pop them out. I used the back of a small hammer. Don't worry if you break them. You won't need them. They don't come off easy. Very frustrating.

2. Remove fog light bulbs. Squeeze the housing and them pop out. Very easy.

3. Detach the bumper from the frame rails. There are a total of 8 bolts. 4 on each frame. You'll need socket wrench w/extension and a friend. It's heavy.

4. Remove plastic cover in front of the grille. There are two plastic set screws on top. Phillips screwdriver worked here. Just unscrew and take off.

That's it. Onto RR install....pics soon.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oriffx
To remove factory bumper.....

1. Start with the plastic air dam underneath the bumper. There are six plastic set screws that secure the plastic air dam undereath the bumper. Four in the front. Two in the back. Don't use a Phillips screwdriver. Useless. Just pry and pop them out. I used the back of a small hammer. Don't worry if you break them. You won't need them. They don't come off easy. Very frustrating.

2. Remove fog light bulbs. Squeeze the housing and them pop out. Very easy.

3. Detach the bumper from the frame rails. There are a total of 8 bolts. 4 on each frame. You'll need socket wrench w/extension and a friend. It's heavy.

4. Remove plastic cover in front of the grille. There are two plastic set screws on top. Phillips screwdriver worked here. Just unscrew and take off.

That's it. Onto RR install....pics soon.

Thanks for starting this thread oriffx. I'm looking at adding this same bumper to my Sahara and was wondering how much front end sag I could expect? Mine would be the non winch version with hoop and end caps. OP or anyone that has this bumper feel free to chime in. Oriffx, Can you let us know some before and after measurments, or just an estimate on how much sag you experience with yours? I'm not in a position to modify the suspension right now but this bumper looks awsome and I want one!! I look forward to seeing the pics when installed

Quick Reply: Install time for Rugged Ridge bumper