Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Insane Audio Headunit

Old 11-21-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperRuby14
OK. I promised I’d report back to the forum once I got and installed my JK1001, so here goes… Firstly, I need to be clear. THIS THING IS FRIGGIN AWESOME!! I absolutely love it. I was a little skeptical at first since there wasn’t much info online about Insane Audio, but make no mistake about it… this is by far the best head unit I’ve ever seen and IMHO it’s by far the best option for a JK. Here is why: Installation took about 20min. They give you all kinds of cables and miscellaneous stuff, but the bottom line is that it is entirely plug and play. It fits perfectly in the dash (no mods) and looks great. It plugs right into the stock wiring harness. Steering wheel controls worked right out of the box. Works with my Infinity sound system right out of the box. Overall, the quality of this unit seems solid. It appears to be well built and in my dash it looks like it came straight from the factory. Sound quality is good (better then my OEM head unit) but I’m planning on really pushing this system to the limit in the very near future and I plan to get a lot more out of it. Right now, I just plugged it into my factory wiring harness and am re-using the existing factory “premium” speakers. I plan on using the pre-amp outputs and having a separate amp for my mains and another for my subs.. .building a custom speaker box behind the rear seats… etc. I have a lot planned, but it’s nice that for now everything works with my stock system and I can upgrade down the road. Android is 4.2.2 and fully unlocked. Having Android as your head unit is awesome. I will never go back to a non-android head unit. Ever. I’ve already connected to the internet through my phone and installed Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Prime for movies, Google Earth, etc. I’ve used Torque on my smartphone before but it is just plain awesome in my dash on that nice big touch screen. At present, I’m playing around with Google Voice control and trying to figure out how to get it to work offline so I can search for music, when I’m offline and off the beaten path. The point here is that you can customize the system however you want. Being connected is nice, but not necessary. You can do anything. It’s also worth noting that this is a much better solution than just using a tablet in your Jeep because it’s the complete package – not only does it look better in the dash, but you’ve got steering wheel controls, AM/FM radio, etc. Everything is there. I haven’t had a chance to use the navigation system much yet, but it already looks better than anything I’ve seen. It’s got nice 3D maps showing the hills near my house and… while it may seem a bit silly.. I really, really like the fact that they’ve got a little Jeep icon driving down the road. It’s just plain cool. I’m looking forward to taking this offroad and seeing how much topography is actually shown when I’m out on the trail. Lastly, it’s worth noting that Insane Audio has an online user forum that is a big plus in my book. I posted a question yesterday evening and had an answer from their support staff first thing this morning. (Insane Audio User Forum • View topic - Removing devices from bluetooth ) So as of now, I’m pretty happy with the support I’m receiving. It’s nice to see users on the forum sharing ideas and such and this is just another example of how this company is thinking differently. The forum is a great resource that I plan on using a lot. I know this is a long post but there were a lot of folks bashing this product on the forum who may or may not have had the time to really look at it. I have no affiliation with Insane Audio whatsoever and went into this as a skeptic. As of right now, I’ve become a huge fan. If you haven’t seen this head unit in person.. check it out. So far, I’m loving it.
Excellent! Glad to hear you are happy with the unit. Hopefully it will be a great radio for you. Sounds like it has a bunch of fun stuff on it to keep you entertained while driving.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrok
Nice write up.

I visited their site and like that they seem to support this pretty well. It also opened my eyes to various possibilities I had not conjured (view GoPro feed live is cool) and I'd imagine .gpx or .kmz trail files could be viewed in Google Earth on the fly. Seems they're also working on a CB integration.

Currently, I'm going to hold off and monitor, possibly wait for the next "version". Also wondering how subsequent Android upgrades will go. They're on 4.2.2 while my phone is on 4.4.4 and soon to be 5.0
Off topic a bit, but Android Lollipop is a significant leap in technology. Tons of new features. It's like a whole new phone. Everything you've ever wanted is there. No crazy workaround to get simple things like a flashlight app on the home screen. They also integrated a smart unlock feature, which can bypass the lock screen when it's connected to a specifically setup Bluetooth device (after you've unlocked it at least once after it connects).

Hopefully Insane Audio rolls Lollipop into their next update, because it's seriously that good.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right on, thanks for the update on that. And it would be a valid concern to ask if their current unit will upgrade to 5.0. If not, maybe it's worth awaiting subsequent versions.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:37 AM
JK Newbie

actually I checked many many options for JK wrangler headunits.

I tried many options from variable brands but I found a brand which is not famous.

its Navix NVX9625

that one has open source protocol so you can make what you want if you know anything programing. BT, IPhone, USB, 3g APN etc.

navigation and interface is the fastest I have ever test.

may be some of you guys interested about it.

(thats just my experince about that)
Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Do you know if it is weather proof to any degree?
I keep my top off at times. And it rains. LOL
Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Re: Insane Audio Head Unit

I promised I’d report back to the forum once I got and installed my JK1001, so here goes…

Sound quality is good (better then my OEM head unit) but I’m planning on really pushing this system to the limit in the very near future and I plan to get a lot more out of it. Right now, I just plugged it into my factory wiring harness and am re-using the existing factory “premium” speakers. I plan on using the pre-amp outputs and having a separate amp for my mains and another for my subs.. .building a custom speaker box behind the rear seats… etc. I have a lot planned, but it’s nice that for now everything works with my stock system and I can upgrade down the road.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and buy one of these units, but my main concern is sound quality. I will also be using it in conjunction with the factory speakers (including sub woofer) for now, but like you, I am intending to upgrade to an external amp and speakers at some point in the future.

You say that, "Sound quality is good (better than my OEM head unit..."

Which OEM unit came with your vehicle, and does your vehicle have the factory sub woofer?

I'm just trying to get a sense of what I can expect from the audio.

Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply: Insane Audio Headunit