Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Input on spider gear issues needed

Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on spider gear issues needed

My JK has a pulsating vibe that starts around 50. My buddies and I have went over it thoroughly.
Here is the list:
Vibe is there when around 50 whether coasting, accelerating, coasting in neutral (trans, transfer case or both). It is prominent in the steering wheel but we have driven it sans front drive shaft and axle shafts and with different tires and wheels with no change. I do have a loose spider gear in the rear that makes all kinds of noise. Could this be the source?
Local offroad shop keeps blaming the trans and transfer case but I find this hard to believe.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your unit bearings. I had a very similar issue and after checking all the usual suspects it turned out to be the driver side unit bearing. Something to check anyways.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Silverback JK
My JK has a pulsating vibe that starts around 50. My buddies and I have went over it thoroughly.
Here is the list:
Vibe is there when around 50 whether coasting, accelerating, coasting in neutral (trans, transfer case or both). It is prominent in the steering wheel but we have driven it sans front drive shaft and axle shafts and with different tires and wheels with no change. I do have a loose spider gear in the rear that makes all kinds of noise. Could this be the source?
Local offroad shop keeps blaming the trans and transfer case but I find this hard to believe.
What do you mean spider gear is loose? If there is slop in it there shouldn't be and i would replace asap before it grenades and takes out bearings or anything else. My dodge did that and took out tone ring, speed sensor. Also had a chevy ss do it (too much power to heavy of foot :-) ). How about outta balance rear driveshaft. See any weights missing?
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

The top spider gear in the carrier has about 1/4" of play. I know it's a problem. I have a rubi 44 housing in my garage, new ten factory 32 spline shafts, new overhaul kit and new R&P...just waiting on new locker to get here. I just wanted to know if that loose gear could cause a vibe to manifest in the steering. I can feel it from the rear but it's in the steering too. The unit bearings are fine.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

The top spider gear in the carrier has about 1/4" of play. I know it's a problem. I have a rubi 44 housing in my garage, new ten factory 32 spline shafts, new overhaul kit and new R&P...just waiting on new locker to get here. I just wanted to know if that loose gear could cause a vibe to manifest in the steering. I can feel it from the rear but it's in the steering too. The unit bearings are fine.
It most definitely could
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Changed entire rear axle out, all new parts. Changed front unit bearings. Still vibrating. What next?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Changed entire rear axle out, all new parts. Changed front unit bearings. Still vibrating. What next?
Just curious but have you had rear shaft balanced
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Short answer: No.

It's still stock and no weights missing. Jeep is at 24,000 miles.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced

Just curious but have you had rear shaft balanced
Awesome JK BTW

Quick Reply: Input on spider gear issues needed