Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

input request: CAI/snorkel R&D

Old 08-20-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAI pro's, con's, and opinions

in a nutshell:

Q.1 )If you have a CAI or are shopping for one, what do you like about 'em? What dont you like?

Q.2 )what would you demand from a CAI system?

throw your here people!

all input/opinions greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Flyin'Squirrel; 08-21-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

bump

anyone with an opinion?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

bump!

bump!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are NO "CAI" units available for the JK. All that's available are replacement performance "upgraded" intake systems. Whenever somebody comes out with a true CAI, I will be listening.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly the available CAI units aren't cold air intakes in a traditional sense. However I have yet to see one that wouldn't perform better than the flow constricted factory airbox and filter.

Things I would look for would be a plastic inlet tube. The metal inlet tubed CAI's will conduct more heat and negate much of the benefit. Wrapping a metal inlet tube in the adhesive backed duct insulation will help, but it's not going to be pretty like the chrome or anodized jobs. The black plastic ones are best, or what ever kind of whiz bang term they want to use for their polymer tubes. They act as a heat dispersant and keep the air cooler.

There isn't much of anything short of the snorkel route to keep them dry when doing some creek crawling. If that's your intent, buy a snorkel.

High flow rechargeable filters are best and make sure you can get a recharge kit around the corner. For that matter, just buying a K&N filter for the stock airbox will also provide some performance advantage.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by JPop; 08-21-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

thank you JPop, does help alot

RedneckJeep, i am aware of no "true CAI" available, which is why im asking for your input. please throughout your opinion as to what you'd want to see in a system for your jeep!!

thanks guys

Quick Reply: input request: CAI/snorkel R&D