Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Input on begining my Jeep expedition theme

Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on begining my Jeep expedition theme

So I want my new 2011 JK Cosmo Blue Sport customers package hardtop to be modified following the expedition theme and I have these two choices for around $1200 budget and I wont be spending much at all in the next 4 years because I am moving to the UK and need to save so I want to take the hit now: options...

1. Roof Rack (either Body Armor, Garvin Adventure Rack with ladder, or Cargomaster)..paired with the tire mount to move spare on roof...and that's the full budget

or...

2. Rugged Ridge XDH bumper, River Raider Hi-Lift hood mounts, 48" Hi-Lift jack, AEV snorkel, and perhaps a light bar (no lights yet)...this option rather comprises smaller purchases but nice ones

So your input would be much appreciated since becoming a member has taught me that this is the best site period. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

# 2

More bang for the buck.

Plus, if you nail some Brit's mini, your Jeep will be fine.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:11 AM
JK Junkie

Recover equipment is always the best MOD's you can do to any JK, my vote goes for option #2 though. I would substitue the light bar for a winch and some recovery straps, but thats me
Old 01-20-2012, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
Recover equipment is always the best MOD's you can do to any JK, my vote goes for option #2 though. I would substitue the light bar for a winch and some recovery straps, but thats me
What he said.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
I would agree with this as well. Also, as you move up in tire size, the heavier they get. I really don't think you would want to try and deal with a 100+ pound tire on the roof one day.

Forgot to mention that you should check out the expedition thread on here for ideas - I don't think any of them have a wheel on top, for what it's worth.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#2 is the best option. The only reason to carry a spare up top is if you are going on an expedition where you could be hundereds of miles from a service station. Then you would want to carry two spares, so you would want one on top (or in the back of teh Jeep, or on a trailer), and one on the swing gate.

Also for many people in expedition Jeeps they would rather carry as much inside to help with gas milage, stability on the trail, etc... over using a roof rack.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My build is for overland travel. I would also go with #2. I have a kargo master with a modified Garvin Range Rover rack on it. I think it looks great on the Jeep, but I feel the weight. I just removed it, and will install only when we go overland or camping... I like driving the Jeep so much better with the rack off...
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

#2. My substitution would be to ditch the snorkel and get a pair of the best differential covers you can afford . Armor 1st in my opinion. Good luck and have fun !
Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote is #2.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of expedition do you have planned? If it is a long trip, I would put lighting ahead of a bumper. Then storage (roof or other rack), and equipment. I've been on trips with near-stock JKs and it is always the lights that are lacking during night travel. You can do without a winch if you are traveling with others that are equipped; if you are traveling alone it is essential. Extra fuel capacity is nice too if you are planning on remote areas. On rough trails, you'll need clearance and skids, but your budget is limited.

Quick Reply: Input on begining my Jeep expedition theme