Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Inner fender liners - solid or vented?

Old 09-29-2016, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to threadjack you here, but I was pondering cutting my stock fenders but what held me back was taking out the inner liners and I know you can keep them but doesnt look as good. I live in Ct so we get a fair amount of snow with salt, sand, etc. my question is taking of the inner fenders will that lead to rust and decay pretty rapidly or am I being too cautious?
Old 09-29-2016, 06:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ReconJeep
Get vented, then buy some magnetic vent covers at Home Depot/Lowes. Keep them covered for daily driving and remove for the trails. "Ex Umbris Venimus"
That sounds like a great idea, but aren't they made out of aluminum and stainless steel?

Neither of those is ferrous...

Matthew
Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Redsand
Not trying to threadjack you here, but I was pondering cutting my stock fenders but what held me back was taking out the inner liners and I know you can keep them but doesnt look as good. I live in Ct so we get a fair amount of snow with salt, sand, etc. my question is taking of the inner fenders will that lead to rust and decay pretty rapidly or am I being too cautious?
That's the idea behind the inner fender liners

You can cut down your factory fenders and not touch your stock liners

I live in Maine so I'm concerned about salt

Matthew
Old 09-29-2016, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

I have the EVO mini liners. So far I have had zero problems. No overheating issues on the interstate or off-roading or even driving around town. It is my DD also. I sprayed bedliner in the rear fender wells.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ReconJeep
Get vented, then buy some magnetic vent covers at Home Depot/Lowes.
The new vented Poison Spyder liners are aluminum.

The mesh is stainless, which would also be a problem for a magnet.

I love the look of the vented ones, but with the Evo double throwdown, I'd end up with more of it on the floor than on the Jeep, even with the non-vented liners. I asked them how much would survive a while back and they didn't have any kind of good answer. Hard to spend $200 on something that $175 worth of material isn't going to make it onto the Jeep.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

I installed the DV8 vented inner liner. After cutting away the OEM to fit the DV8, because of having Sahara painted to match fenders and currently do not plan to change the fenders out (not until they are damaged). Took a few tries to get the fit right, and they rattle some times against the shock mount, so we keep tweaking it. Even though the look it great, I really didn't think about all the dust going in the engine compartment. After a couple of runs at Forest Fest everything under the hood was the same color as the Jeep (Sahara Tan). Boy, did I hear about that when the husband saw it. It took longer to clean-up and ready for the Jeep Jam show a couple of weeks later. And since I have already changed out the radiator to a dual core and got a new trans cooler it really didn't need the venting. Haven't noticed in difference in engine or trans temp when out on the highway as compared to slow crawling.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Redsand
We trimmed the factory fenders and the fender liner on our Jeep. The plan is to eventually upgrade both the fenders and liners, but after smashing the factory driver's side fender while wheeling, we had to make it look good again for the time being. The end result turned out pretty nice, but like you said, it's not perfect. The only odd gap is between the liner and the actual metal fender, since the lines don't meet up. I would definitely suggest getting some fender liners though, preferably solid, if you plan on cutting the fenders and ditching the factory plastic liner.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I did the Poison Spyder solid inner fender liners. Mostly to keep mud and water out of the engine bay. I hate the smell of mud/water burning on the exhaust. I also believe proper air flow through the engine bay is important. I did the PS hood vent figuring heat rises so in theory the air goes through the radiator, then out the hood.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Metalcloak inner fenders and have been very happy with them. Great price too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1528738440.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	592.8 KB
ID:	657805  
Old 09-29-2016, 12:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mdash
I did the Poison Spyder solid inner fender liners. Mostly to keep mud and water out of the engine bay. I hate the smell of mud/water burning on the exhaust. I also believe proper air flow through the engine bay is important. I did the PS hood vent figuring heat rises so in theory the air goes through the radiator, then out the hood.
How did the hood installation go?

Matthew

Quick Reply: Inner fender liners - solid or vented?