Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Inner fender liners - solid or vented?

Old 09-28-2016, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner fender liners - solid or vented?

Hello

I looked but didn't find any discussion on items like the Poison Spyder inner fender liners...

More specifically the solid vs the vented versions

How much a difference would it make having/not having venting with a 3.6l with a stick hood and radiator?

Thanks for the help

Matthew
Old 09-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm planning on going with the vented Crawler Conceptz inner fender liners, as long as I can make them work with the coilovers I am installing. If not, I will probably fab my own, but definitely want a vented design to help cool the engine bay.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The fender liners are (according to the internet) part of the system to create a low pressure zone under the hood to force air through the radiator- at speed.

If it's just a trail toy then vented may be a better choice. Highway could be another story.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The fender liners are (according to the internet) part of the system to create a low pressure zone under the hood to force air through the radiator- at speed. If it's just a trail toy then vented may be a better choice. Highway could be another story.
Agree. If is a daily I wouldn't do vented. If it's crawler only, sure as you're not getting higher speed radiator airflow.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Agree. If is a daily I wouldn't do vented. If it's crawler only, sure as you're not getting higher speed radiator airflow.
Thanks for the info both here and pm'ed

I'm in between...

It's not strictly a toy...yet

But I often drive it to get around

It's just that having vents seems to be counterintuitive to having inner fender liners

Right now I have the minimal amount left behind after installing the Poison Spyder fenders

Matthew
Old 09-28-2016, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Thanks for the info both here and pm'ed I'm in between... It's not strictly a toy...yet But I often drive it to get around It's just that having vents seems to be counterintuitive to having inner fender liners Right now I have the minimal amount left behind after installing the Poison Spyder fenders Matthew
I agree it's counterintuitive. I personally wouldn't get vents no matter what. You don't need more filth than absolutely necessary in the engine bay.

If I was interested in Venting the engine, I'd do it via hood vents.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Short answer is this....

If you are running a stock or stock mounted shock package, then you can go with the vented for "looks" as well as the potential for additional cooling.

If you are running coilovers or anything other than a stock mounted shock package, you will have to do some trimming that will more than likely will not work as well with vented liners. In this case, I would suggest solid.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Boosted
Short answer is this.... If you are running a stock or stock mounted shock package, then you can go with the vented for "looks" as well as the potential for additional cooling. If you are running coilovers or anything other than a stock mounted shock package, you will have to do some trimming that will more than likely will not work as well with vented liners. In this case, I would suggest solid.
Well that makes it easy, a long arm and coil overs are quite likely my next big mod

Matthew
Old 09-29-2016, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get vented, then buy some magnetic vent covers at Home Depot/Lowes. Keep them covered for daily driving and remove for the trails.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
Old 09-29-2016, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

I've had the solid PS liners in since April, no noticeable difference in temp.

Quick Reply: Inner fender liners - solid or vented?