Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Inner axle seals questions. Non typical

Old 07-19-2013, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inner axle seals questions. Non typical

I had to pull my rcvs to replace my ball joints. 29k miles on the jeep less on the alloy ball joints. I bought it used and the lowers were bad. I really pulled them because the synergys sit more flush and give better clearance for the rcvs. Anyways now I think my inner axle seal is leaking in the passenger side. I'm supposed to be going on a road trip tomorrow so I don't have time to replace them . Will they be ok until I get back? How often should I check the diff level? Will they leak faster/more when moving down the road? As always thanks for the help!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the diff seals leak and it usually looks way worse than it is. Keep a bottle of gear fluid with you and keep an eye on it but I doubt you will even need it. It should be fine. As long as you keep oil in it no worries it can leak for ever. Mostly it looks like it all leaked out you pull the plug and the fluid level hardly moved.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Awesome,thanks! I just didn't want to run 4500 miles worrying about blowing a diff. I could take my Camry, but we are doing a lot of camping and since I'm going all the way out to California I figure I should swing by Moab with the jeep!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take a look every time you stop for gas and bring oil and tools. Have fun, Happy Wheelin.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

That was pretty much my current plan. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I've got that leak same spot. If it is only a small leak, eventually it will gum up and stop. If not, you are like me and I carry extra diff fluid and top off while airing down. Also after a water crossing I have to change my fluid completely.

I will be installing external seals to see if that's an easier fix than pulling the diff to get to the inner seal.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

This is gonna sound stupid but are all seals the same even with rcvs

Quick Reply: Inner axle seals questions. Non typical