Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Inexperienced and Indecisive - need tires and a tuner. BFG/Nitto/superchips

Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexperienced and Indecisive - need tires and a tuner. BFG/Nitto/superchips

My stock tires are near the end of their life, and with the dawn of new / larger tires will require a tuner.. ..I appreciate any and all input!

-My city driving is either in NWA (very hilly terrain) or DFW (flat)
-I drive about 800 miles once a month on the highway (from NWA to DFW and back)
-I have an MBRP exhaust and an AEM intake, 2.5" skyjacker lift.
-I off road every once in a while but as I upgrade I am getting into it more.
-I pull a trailer with an ATV every once in a while too.
-6 speed manual.

Tires I am considering - will be 35x12.5x17 or 18
BFG AT
Nitto Mud Grappler
BFG KM2

Everything will most likely be Purchased from Discount Tire and I will consider anything from there. I want something that can handle in rain and snow, but I do not want to dog down my jeep too much especially on hills. I am leaning toward the BFG AT's, but I do not know if they will look funny as 35's (I had them as 33's on a TJ.)

Should I go with 17 inch or 18 inch rims? I do not plan on upgrading to 37's.

I am probably going with a superchips tuner - It will work with my 2008 JK and my little brothers 2011. Eventually I'll be re-gearing -what is your quick opinion on 4.88 vs 5.13?

Pulling the trigger on this decision so that I can have the tires in a month!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Winston
My stock tires are near the end of their life, and with the dawn of new / larger tires will require a tuner.. ..I appreciate any and all input!

-My city driving is either in NWA (very hilly terrain) or DFW (flat)
-I drive about 800 miles once a month on the highway (from NWA to DFW and back)
-I have an MBRP exhaust and an AEM intake, 2.5" skyjacker lift.
-I off road every once in a while but as I upgrade I am getting into it more.
-I pull a trailer with an ATV every once in a while too.
-6 speed manual.

Tires I am considering - will be 35x12.5x17 or 18
BFG AT
Nitto Mud Grappler
BFG KM2

Everything will most likely be Purchased from Discount Tire and I will consider anything from there. I want something that can handle in rain and snow, but I do not want to dog down my jeep too much especially on hills. I am leaning toward the BFG AT's, but I do not know if they will look funny as 35's (I had them as 33's on a TJ.)

Should I go with 17 inch or 18 inch rims? I do not plan on upgrading to 37's.

I am probably going with a superchips tuner - It will work with my 2008 JK and my little brothers 2011. Eventually I'll be re-gearing -what is your quick opinion on 4.88 vs 5.13?

Pulling the trigger on this decision so that I can have the tires in a month!
Simple answers:

5.13s

35x12.5x17...forget the 18s for anything smaller than 37s and cheaper to get 17s.

For your use I would get the BFG ATs...great tread life and good on rain n snow and by far best on highway.

Superchips is a good idea as well.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's wrong with 18's and 35's?

Sorry, I'm a newb
Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by renzo1200
What's wrong with 18's and 35's?

Sorry, I'm a newb
There's nothing wrong with 18's and 35's, but you can probably save $600 on tires by getting 17's instead.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or save even more on tires by going 35x12.50-15. But then you have to buy new wheels. For what you describe, the BFG AT would be an excellent choice with 4.88s and a tuner
Old 07-08-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

i'm going to throw a vote for 18's and the Mud Grapplers (warning: that's the route i chose so i'm a little partial). the Grapplers have excellent tread life if you air them correctly and rotate as normal. i started with an unknown mileage used set and was so happy with them i just got 4 new ones put on!

18" wheels really look good on the JK and the price difference in the 17" or 18" isn't all that much. as a matter of fact @ discount tire there is an $8.44 difference in the 17" and 18" Mud Grapplers.

i decided to go with 4:88's because i do a fair amount of driving on the interstate and i wanted to keep it reasonable. (getting them installed monday) general rule is 4:88 for 35's and a 6 speed: 5:13 for 35's and an auto. if it was more of an off-road Jeep then go 5:13.

i've decided that an Atlas II is in the near future for me. that'll let me keep my 4:88's and get decent results on the road and get excellent off-road performance. i had one in my last YJ and have nothing bad to say about them. i had a TJ Rubicon and the 4.0:1 was nice in that thing so finding a JK Rubi t-case is an option.... (not for me but it's still a decent choice)

for a tuner my choice was the Superchip and i honestly couldn't be happier. my MPG went from 14.5 (+/-) to 16.5 (+/-) with the 91 tune!

along with the tuner i have a cold air intake, TB spacer and cat back exhaust. i'm interested to see what happens after i get the gears in.

my opinions and all of that
Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcharge74
There's nothing wrong with 18's and 35's, but you can probably save $600 on tires by getting 17's instead.
not currently.... discount tire has the 17" and 18" Mud Grapplers for less than $9 difference per tire.

depending on brand, the wheels are priced similar as well......

edit: another place i just checked was $10 difference

Last edited by ArmedSuspect; 07-08-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Winston
As an FYI 1 Superchip will only work on 1 Jeep.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post

Originally Posted by JayhawkJeep
As an FYI 1 Superchip will only work on 1 Jeep.

yep! it'll cost ya $100 to change it to another Jeep.... and it will not work on the other Jeep after that.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm making the same decision. I consideres the BFG K2's, but decided against them due to their lower performance in the rain, and noise. I understand that they are a great off-road tire though.

My decision is towards the duratrac's. Seems to be a good tire as a DD and good off-road.

Quick Reply: Inexperienced and Indecisive - need tires and a tuner. BFG/Nitto/superchips