Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Improving Ride Quality

Old 12-28-2015, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put on AEV geometry correction brackets and it helped my ride out a lot.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Start with the basics before just throwing parts at it. As noted, tire psi can have a big impact on ride quality.

Your profile is correct? 3.5" coils + 2" spacers and stock arms? So you are running a 5 1/2" lift with no caster correction. (no cam bolts or drop brackets?)

A front raised trackbar bracket was installed with the flip. Is there a rear raised bracket?

When the coils/spacers were installed, did you loosen the control arm and trackbar bolts, or left them torqued?

How long are the shocks?

It should say 3.5" coils with 3/4" spacers just in the front. Not sure if that's what it says or not. I'm sitting at 4 1/4" of lift in the front with no correction. The rear track bar is a longer adjustable track bar, but I figured since it was adjusted properly it wouldn't matter too much. I left everything untouched unless it was provided in the kit for me to replace.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jlocker
First you need to give everyone more info on your setup, so we can give you recommendations.
Tell me what you need to know, and I'll deliver.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
This is an easy fix by using the chalk method in your neighborhood street. I am running 26 PSI in my tires.
My tire pressure sensor kept giving me warning lights because I used to run them at about 30ish psi and on cold mornings it would beep at me, so I turned it off. I'll get out tomorrow and check it out, because I've had my tires rotated since I turned the sensors off and the bros at discount tire probably filled them to something stupid.

Maybe I'll just air down to like 9 psi
Old 12-28-2015, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
<toughlove=on> Then you never could afford a 3.5" lift. Not only could you not afford it, but it never would improve the performance of your Jeep running 35s. You got suckered in by lift envy. Stop looking at mall crawlers in their stupid pick-ups lifted to the skies and start learning the basics of building a capable off-road rig. I recommend this excellent post by Dirtman: "My thoughts on lifts", in the stickies (because you aren't the first and won't be the last). </toughlove>
Believe me, I know exactly how to make my Jeep an off road monster, but the way things had played out I decided to get the parts that I got. If I was a 40 year old man with a solid job I would have had the patience to save money for long arms and Dana 60s, but I got what I could afford. I figured some other Jeep people who've been in my position might have some suggestions for something that will get me by until I have the time and job to save the tens of thousands for a "capable off-road rig".
Old 12-28-2015, 10:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It says 3.5" coils and a daystar leveling kit (their leveling kit is 2", hence my assumption)

Describe the actual complaint better. (any terms other than a shaking/vibrating/harsh ride?)

Discount tire seriously over-inflates every single time I go in, which has been every 3k on my last 5 sets of tires. Even when I specifically ask to have them inflated to a certain psi. (staun's )

As noted several times, loosening the trackbar and control arm bolts, then shaking the jeep and bouncing on the bumpers a few times, and then re-torquing the bolts, could be time well spent. More than a few people have indicated that it unbound the bushings and gave a better ride.

Low caster causes flighty steering. 4+ inches, pretty much everyone here will tell you to get some form of correction. But!! this isn't the cause of the 'shaking/vibrating/harshness', just darty/flighty steering.

Raised trackbar brackets are used to change the roll-center, which is affected by lift height. Your rear adj trackbar centers the axle, it doesn't change the handling. Most lift mfg's will suggest/provide rear brackets. (Not sure what handling to expect from running a front raised and stock rear? Maybe you can fill this in?)

Not dealing with ride characteristics, but other things to look at are the bumpstops, brakelines and shock length. These should be set for the specific build/use. All onroad, may not be an issue, but if you do take it offroad, (and especially if those shocks are appropriate for a 4-5" lift), look in to this! And be sure to crawl underneath and check the driveshaft joints for spitting grease as part of normal maintenance!!

until I have the time and job to save the tens of thousands for a "capable off-road rig".
I know what you mean by that, just throwing out an opinion that bone stock jk's are plenty capable right off the dealers lot. For you, I think the problem is more about setup than throwing a ton of money into a bunch of new parts. Check the psi, check for bound bushings, look into some form of caster correction (cam bolts, drop brackets, longer/short fixed ca's, adj ca's - research them, don't just fixate on price!), and let us know what you think of the handling.

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-28-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
Believe me, I know exactly how to make my Jeep an off road monster, but the way things had played out I decided to get the parts that I got. If I was a 40 year old man with a solid job I would have had the patience to save money for long arms and Dana 60s, but I got what I could afford. I figured some other Jeep people who've been in my position might have some suggestions for something that will get me by until I have the time and job to save the tens of thousands for a "capable off-road rig".
Thing is you don't need d60s and long arms to have an awesome off roader. putting anything over 2" of lift without anything to correct geometry is not advised. You have 5" of lift according to what you have on your rig. why all the lift? 35" on a 2.5" lift is a great setup. I would remove what you installed. sell it, get a good quality 2.5" lift, and enjoy a jeep that can go very far off road and still maintain on road ride quality.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
Ever since I lifted my Jeep, the ride has been killing me. It's shaking bolts loose and vibrating my Jeep apart. I've got stock control arms, and a 3.5" lift on 35"s. I know long arms will help, but I also don't want to spend $2500 right now, because I'm poor and in college and my Jeep needs a whole lot of work. What could help smooth out my ride? Adjustable lower control arms? New shocks?
What type of shake/vibration? Is it speed specific? Feel it in your seat or in your steering wheel? Have you had your tires balanced recently?
Old 12-29-2015, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go back thru all the bolts ect. Like everyone said.

Little personal advice now....If it still rides like shit sell your springs. Put stockers back in and save cash. Highly recommended the MetalCloak dual rates or the Synergy progressive units. Don't skimp on springs. No shock will fix a shitty spring. Get track bar relocation brackets if your gonna run that much lift. Definitely fix your caster. Some guys buy drop brackets. I prefer upper adj control arms. Just food for thought.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 3 main components that control the ride harshness.
- tire pressure
- shocks
- springs

If you order a lift that is meant for a 4dr and/or designed to maintain height when carrying steel bumpers with winch and you only have the plastic bumpers you are gonna have a buckboard wagon ride. Shocks are the same deal. HD shocks will further stiffen your ride.
One of the reasons so my people like the budget boost lifts is because they maintain factory ride with a little extra height.

Quick Reply: Improving Ride Quality