Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Impact Tools for Lift Install

Old 02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impact Tools for Lift Install

I am getting prepared to install the 3" OME long travel lift kit that I bought from David at Northridge onto my '08 JK 2-door.

I have read many of the threads on the subject of lift installs, and I believe I have most of the tools. I do have a couple of questions, though.

1. Is a swivel necessary if I use an impact wrench? If so, can someone explain to me the difference between a "universal" and a "swivel universal"? There's quite a big price difference for Craftsman, and I'm not really sure what more I'm really getting with the swivel universal.

2. I have read about situations in which a 2' crescent wrench (or pipe wrench) is necessary. For the installation of adjustable track bars and adjustable upper control arms, would one of these be a good investment?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

as the saying goes use the right tool for the right job, if you don't use a tool right you risk damaging your tools and what your working on... that said a creasan is a good tool to have, but use it right (they tend to round off bolts). as far as impacts go they are designed to remove fasteners not install them, you risk breaking bolts, though i do use a impacts to put install i am care full not to over torque and i make sure the bolt is threaded properly before hand, as far the universals and universal-swivels ill get an answer for you soon.

the universals are cheap so if your only gonna do this once I would get a universal, but if you do this a lot (if your a profesional mechanic) get a universal swivel socket set.

Last edited by noidea; 02-22-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 1/2" universal but didn't use it when I installed my F/T 3" ultimate. I got away with "wobble" extensions. I mean it took some clever (pat on the back) combinations of wobbles and non-wobbles but it worked. I used a cheap 1/2" impact but it's really not necessary...speeds things up some. I got a big ass crescent from Harbor Freight to tighten the jam nuts. About $16 and it really looks cool

Last edited by Michigan Mike; 02-22-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks for the Input

Hi noidea,

Originally Posted by noidea
as the saying goes use the right tool for the right job, if you don't use a tool right you risk damaging your tools and what your working on... that said a creasan is a good tool to have, but use it right (they tend to round off bolts). as far as impacts go they are designed to remove fasteners not install them, you risk breaking bolts, though i do use a impacts to put install i am care full not to over torque and i make sure the bolt is threaded properly before hand, as far the universals and universal-swivels ill get an answer for you soon.

the universals are cheap so if your only gonna do this once I would get a universal, but if you do this a lot (if your a profesional mechanic) get a universal swivel socket set.
I agree... the right tool is "almost" always the best approach. The point about the crescent wrench was in regard to something I had read... purchasing wrenches for nuts 1-1/2" and bigger can get expensive quick. And, when you only use that size tool occasionally, I am thinking I'll take my time and be extra careful might be the most prudent choice.

I'll look forward to your answer regarding the difference between a universal and a swivel-universal. (Hopefully I won't need to turn into a professional mechanic with my Jeeping fun, so I'll probably stick to the universals, at least for now.)

Thanks for your help.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

Originally Posted by Michigan Mike
I have a 1/2" universal but didn't use it when I installed my F/T 3" ultimate. I got away with "wobble" extensions. I mean it took some clever (pat on the back) combinations of wobbles and non-wobbles but it worked. I used a cheap 1/2" impact but it's really not necessary...speeds things up some. I got a big ass crescent from Harbor Freight to tighten the jam nuts. About $16 and it really looks cool
I think I read a different post of yours that indicated you had an 18" crescent. Any regrets with not going bigger? The 24" isn't too much more expensive at Harbor Freight. Do you prefer the adjustable wrench to the pipe wrench others have suggested for the jam nuts?

(I'm confused about your wobbles reference, too. Are you referring to the sockets with the built-in universals, or am I really out to lunch?)

Thanks again for your input.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

he is refering to drive extension with a tappered squar drive at the end. you get a good amount of play without the frustration of the universals. they tend to be a bit pricey though.

there's the set from snap on, sorry i dont know how to make a clicky

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Last edited by noidea; 02-22-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noidea
he is refering to drive extension with a tappered squar drive at the end. you get a good amount of play without the frustration of the universals. they tend to be a bit pricey though.

there's the set from snap on, sorry i dont know how to make a clicky

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Well I tend to err on the cheap side (read Harbor Freight or, to a better quality extent, Northern Tool) since I'm no pro. The wobbles at HF were @ $19 (for a full set of 1/4". 3/8" and 1/2" various lengths) and if they break using an impact so what. That's cheap enough to be considered a "disposable". Definetly use eye protection if you're gonna use impact on non- impact stuff. The greatest benefit I got from this set is the long 1/4" extension that make a great centering tool to line up/pry slightly mis-aligned bolt holes. Yeah I checked in my shop and it's the 18". Any larger and you're gonna have trouble getting into/onto those jam nuts.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An impact can save a lot of time since most of the bolts that the factory uses need to be wrenched completly loose.

I used a universal and a long and short extension all on 1/2" drive. 21mm-13/16 and 19mm-3/4 gets most of it. 18mm and 16mm gets the rest.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

You can get away with a much smaller (than 18" crescent) pipe wrench for the jam nuts. The pipe wrench is much easier to maneuver in tighter spaces.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff09
I am getting prepared to install the 3" OME long travel lift kit that I bought from David at Northridge onto my '08 JK 2-door.

I have read many of the threads on the subject of lift installs, and I believe I have most of the tools. I do have a couple of questions, though.

1. Is a swivel necessary if I use an impact wrench? If so, can someone explain to me the difference between a "universal" and a "swivel universal"? There's quite a big price difference for Craftsman, and I'm not really sure what more I'm really getting with the swivel universal.

2. I have read about situations in which a 2' crescent wrench (or pipe wrench) is necessary. For the installation of adjustable track bars and adjustable upper control arms, would one of these be a good investment?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff
Just completing the same lift this weekend, i would say you don't need an impact. It can make the job easier but i did not use the I have for the install. I did use an air ratchet though after breaking the bolts loose with a breaker bar. I did find that on the passenger side track bar it was easier to use a 6 in extension and moving the axle up and down to line up a straight shot. You will see what i mean when you get to that point. Everything else went good except the rear spring retainers... these things will teach a guy to cus like a sailor. Work great once in though. best of luck to you and i know you will really like the kit.

Quick Reply: Impact Tools for Lift Install