Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I'm looking for a trans cooler and I'll install myself. Advice please.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I'm looking for a trans cooler and I'll install myself. Advice please.

Please list one that you know is:

- Effective
- Easy to install
- Affordable

And anyone have problems with dealers not honoring warranties after installing it yourself?

Thanks!

ps I know I could use the search button but I'm looking for the latest opinions.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my write up:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58529l

I like using hard lines whenever possible. Yeah, it's more costly and requires a tad of skill with the tubing bender. I think you'll have less trouble with warranty issues using hard lines, though, since the factory uses them. I got the largest universal BTU cooler B&M makes. It was right at 100 bucks. You can get cheaper smaller ones, but why take chances? If you're gonna go to the trouble of installing one at all, put the biggest one in there that'll fit. Mine doesn't look that big, but it's 1 1/2" THICK, too. I think it's 19,200 BTU. Don't cheap out on it. It's not an unimportant addition.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Very nicely done.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi

Nice job, mrsig!

...and I want to add, there is nothing wrong with using rubber hose. Hard lining is just MY personal preference. You need to use the CORRECT rubber hose, and believe it or not, it's usually NOT what's included with transmission coolers! It needs to be the same as power steering return hose. Basically, heavy duty 3/8" hydraulic hose. If you use standard 3/8" fuel hose, like what comes in most kits, the dealer will have a good reason not to warranty your transmission should you have a problem. Fuel hose can break down from the inside and allow pieces of rubber into your transmission. Not good. The hydraulic hose is more expensive, but it WILL last a long time.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

The dealer couldn't install one because mopar doesn't sell one? Then how did they install the ones in the towing package?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a towing package and it does NOT include a tranny cooler
Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Really? I guess that answers it then.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi

The only one Mopar makes is in the bottom section of the A/C condenser. Somebody needs slappin for that design. I mean, here is somethin responsible for removing HEAT from the A/C system. It's already hot to begin with. Genius. At least, had they done it conventionally as in the radiator, there would have been fluid plus airflow. Dumbasses.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

I probably won't install a cooler then. I don't want any crap regarding the warranty. If the trans fails they'll just have to replace it.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with your dealer first, they might be ok with it. I called my dealer and spoke to the district rep before doing mine. He told me it was ok as long as it was a good quality one, and as long as i still retained the factory one, so I kept that inline with the aftermarket one too. Just be sure to use hydraulic line, or it will bleed through eventually. I got some fuel line to use with mine, and in a matter of a couple months, it was starting to get kinda gummy and bleed through. I used a brand new cooler for a 7.3 powerstroke superduty that was given to me, but I wound up spending almost as much as the B&M kit mentioned above just for hose and fittings. I'd go with the B&M kit if I were you. You can find them a little cheaper on ebay if you look.

Quick Reply: I'm looking for a trans cooler and I'll install myself. Advice please.