Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I'm going with 4.56's...assuming I can find them

Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going with 4.56's...assuming I can find them

Well, I've been searching here endlessly for the last month or so. I know the norm is 4:88's with a 6sp and 5:13's with an auto. I've studied the charts and read everyone "online" expertise. it's easy to weed through the posts and find the truly knowledgable members here give there reccomendations. But...these guys wheel there Jeeps. I have no intenstions to truly wheel my Jeep at all. At most so bumpy less traveled back roads.

That being said I have a 6sp and have to be honest with myself and my driving habits.

While my commute is short to work (4 miles), I do still drive a decent amount per year. Somewhere around 11k miles a year. I drive all over meeting clients for my real estate work. As I said earlier my JK is not going to be a trail rig at all. I can't even really say an overlanding rig. At most, besides daily driving it will be used for trips to the beach and on vacations at about an 1hr to 3hours hours away. I'm currently all stock with 3.21's and I think it's fine. Would I like more power. You bet, but not a huge sacrifice to gas mileage.

My plan is the ubiquitous 2.5-3" lift with 35's (which are all measuring 34 or so). No desire to go to 37's...or should I say every desire to go to 37's and slap beefy axles under the Jeep. But again...I have to be realistic. With 35's I'm at the limit keeping the wife able to climb (she's 5'2", as well as strapping our children into their car seats.

The most I'm going to tow is my small 5x8 trailer with my quad on it as well.

Now that you know my use...would you support the 4.56's assuming I can locate them.

Also...please don't view this as a 4.56vs4.88. I'm more looking at the proper gears for my application and use.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd like to see some opinions also. I plan on getting the 4.56s for my 6spd as well. I wasn't aware that they were hard to find though. However, I plan on running 33" tires. Maybe 35s in the future, but not any time soon. I currently have the 3.21s and they suck.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you read all the posts and you still want to go 4:56? People don't regear necessarily for off-road capability but more so for highway capability and regain some power & mpg's back lost to bigger tires. That's the primary reason for me to regear to a proper ratio based on the JK charts. Traditionally 4:56 were fine for other trucks and older model Jeeps, but the JK is different. Do yourself a favor and reconsider at least the 4:88 or 5:13.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by renpia
So you read all the posts and you still want to go 4:56? People don't regear necessarily for off-road capability but more so for highway capability and regain some power & mpg's back lost to bigger tires. That's the primary reason for me to regear to a proper ratio based on the JK charts. Traditionally 4:56 were fine for other trucks and older model Jeeps, but the JK is different. Do yourself a favor and reconsider at least the 4:88 or 5:13.
Agreed, 4.88's were the way to go for me! I thought at 1st I wanted the 4.56's as well but not anymore.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

I am also looking at the 4.56s myself. I think it would definitely give better MPG than 4.88s! Most of my driving is city driving and it is not so bad with my 3.21s so 4.56 would be a great sweet spot.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renpia
So you read all the posts and you still want to go 4:56?
Yes. And I've exchanged some pm's with a few members running 4:88's and 5:13's. The couple of guys with 5:13's said for highways driving is a bit much and gets the rpm's up there especially over 70. I really don't intend on doing anything beyond 75. Either way, those with 4:88's liked them for sure. But one in particular who dd's his JKU on the highways said while he liked his 4:88's, his still felt they were little deep. So I started searching 4:56's and those few who are running them here, seem to be really pleased with the results. Equating it to a stock rubicon with 4:10's. If you look at the charts...4.56's as a "good daily driver". 4:88's move it to a "fair daily driver".
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Koko
.....If you look at the charts...4.56's as a "good daily driver". 4:88's move it to a "fair daily driver".
Yep. That!

Quick Reply: I'm going with 4.56's...assuming I can find them