Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I'm on the fence and need some help...

Old 02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
First off, I wouldn't put a Firestone tire on my Jeep if they were the last tire made. I'd walk. Ask anybody who lost a loved one in a Ford Explorer if they'd buy one. Anybody that knows anything about the tire business will tell you Firestone has always made junk. Now that that's outta the way......go with the load range D....or even a C if you can find it. That is unless you're plannin on wheelin HARD. The load range E is really too much sidewall for a Jeep. Might ride a little more harsh than you want.
X2, couldn't have said it better myself, firestones SUCK
Old 02-19-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with the D-rated 35's.

Hopefully the rubbing won't be too bad, as the FAQ's say.

I'll probably throw a BL on in a few months.

Thanks again,

ck
Old 02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would also like to add that if I believed the Firestone's might kill me, I wouldn't choose them.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by C_Kyle
I would also like to add that if I believed the Firestone's might kill me, I wouldn't choose them.
You know how it is, one bad apple spoils the bunch or however you say it. I'm sure there's somebody here who would never buy a Chevy because their neighbor's cousin's best friend's uncle had one that broke down one time.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give you a little more support on your decision... GOOD choice! I think you should choose between 33" and 35" D rated tires, and not even let an E enter your decision. If that is the only tire available, I personally would not buy it. The diff between a C, D, and E should be your first question as that is going to by far have the biggest impact on your ride quality.

Also, for the record, I think anybody who is still scared of Firestone tires is probably still waiting for all of the banks to shut down from Y2K! Or maybe you think sitting too close to the TV will make you cross-eyed! I think you just need to get over it already. They are quality tires from an ISO certified company, who has corected any raw material or production process issues that they MIGHT have had... Ok, I feel better... I just had to get my OPINION out there on that...
Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
The thing is....

If you go with the 35s and you only have a 2.5" lift, those things are going to rub. I know from experience. I even ripped off a fender. Might I suggest going to a 3" lift instead?

Hey toad .... How you been ?????

Did you have wheel spacers ?? And did you rip the fender off @ full flex ???? He could easily ( as he mentioned doing ) add a Body Lift and Wheel spacers ( for rubbing ) if the need arose !!!

I have lots of wheel well left to upgrade to 35 or 37 with my set up !!!! ( I may lose some flex with the 37's ... But only if I run the real hard trails !!)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought I'd bump this and share my final decision. Well, I didn't order the Firestones, and it wasn't because of any real/unreal danger/bad publicity/rap/etc.

I agree with everyone else that I don't want a E-rated tire, and that was half of the issue. The other half of the issue is that with this lift (and/or this particular branded lift/size of lift) there have been issues of rubbing. The rubbing issue ranges from not at all to minimal rubbing at full flex to bad rubbing.

So, I decided to go with 33's in a D-rated tire; which, Firestone didn't provide. I went with Procomp Radial Mud Terrain's 285/75-16.

I also ordered Procomp 1069 wheels to go with it.

All of it should be here, possibly tomorrow, probably Monday, and installed early next week.

The RC lift and JKS trackbars and swaybar disconnects seem to handle just fine. The ride is just barely noticeably stiffer than stock X suspension. We'll see how it settles in the next few weeks.

So, I've noted my suspension and mods in my sig-line because I like to see what others have done with a quick glance.

Quick Reply: I'm on the fence and need some help...