Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

If you could choose any coil...

Old 07-18-2014, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just swapped MC coils for Evo plush and the "plush" are anything but. MC were considerably softer

Marketing BS.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 07-18-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
I just swapped MC coils for Evo plush and the "plush" are anything but. MC were considerably softer Marketing BS. Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Hahah damn! Well I've read the mc coils are a very well rounded spring.

Still curious what would be better. Synergy, mc, or rk triple rates...
I don't mine a firm ride, but not something that jars you on bumps and roads that have small sections of washboard.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bombout800
Well, The spring keeps the tire planted on the road. Take coil springs out of the equation and the shock just cannot hang. Period. At least on our jeeps. Without the spring the shock can only do so much. You would lose stabilization and control without them.
The spring doesn't keep the tire on the road, the weight of the Jeep does.
The spring cushions between the wheel and the frame.
The shock is resistance to the speed in which the spring compresses or decompresses.
Without the shock, the Jeep body would bounce too much.

Spring and shock work together as a system, so one can't be regarded without the other.

The hardness or softness of a spring, is determined by the spring coefficient. This means that every spring which keeps the same weight at the same height, would have about the same spring coefficient.
Therefore, for the same Jeep and load, there would not be much difference in 'softness'.

Differences can exist below or above the ride height:
Compression beyond the ride height may be harder, or decompression below ride height may be softer, by using dual-rate, or progressive coils, for instance.
They would still have the same softness~hardness near the ride height.

What can change the ride softness, by much more, is the shock.
The shock resists the coil movement, so the body typically moves about 1.5 up/down cycles.
By re-valving, or tuning a tunable a shock, or by choosing a different shock, its' resistance can be changed and the overall softness with it.
If too soft, the bump stops will be hit too often.

Soft is just a term, dont let it bother you. You mentioned firm, it's simply a antonym of soft on this forum and a few others. People enjoy following another persons lingo, and most of the time they get the lingo from well known forum moderators or friends.
Well, 'soft' is more than just a 'term'. Different coil/shock combinations result in very different overall ride hardness or softness.
My suspension isn't unique -- Full Traction 4" lift and Fox shocks -- but with properly re-valved shocks, the Jeep is definitely softer than a similarly loaded stock Jeep.

Matching your shock to your spring rate is the best bet, but most people don't give out their numbers. Then your shock has to be re-valved, and most people don't want to spend another 100-200 dollars to do so.
Shocks that can be tuned by the driver, by turning a knob, are, IMO, the best option.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

I am very pleased with my MC coils and fox shocks. It was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
The spring doesn't keep the tire on the road, the weight of the Jeep does. The spring cushions between the wheel and the frame. The shock is resistance to the speed in which the spring compresses or decompresses. Without the shock, the Jeep body would bounce too much. Spring and shock work together as a system, so one can't be regarded without the other. The hardness or softness of a spring, is determined by the spring coefficient. This means that every spring which keeps the same weight at the same height, would have about the same spring coefficient. Therefore, for the same Jeep and load, there would not be much difference in 'softness'. Differences can exist below or above the ride height: Compression beyond the ride height may be harder, or decompression below ride height may be softer, by using dual-rate, or progressive coils, for instance. They would still have the same softness~hardness near the ride height. What can change the ride softness, by much more, is the shock. The shock resists the coil movement, so the body typically moves about 1.5 up/down cycles. By re-valving, or tuning a tunable a shock, or by choosing a different shock, its' resistance can be changed and the overall softness with it. If too soft, the bump stops will be hit too often. Well, 'soft' is more than just a 'term'. Different coil/shock combinations result in very different overall ride hardness or softness. My suspension isn't unique -- Full Traction 4" lift and Fox shocks -- but with properly re-valved shocks, the Jeep is definitely softer than a similarly loaded stock Jeep. Shocks that can be tuned by the driver, by turning a knob, are, IMO, the best option.
Thanks for owning me in every possible way. Haha that was just my opinion. I was thinking on the correct path. I agree with your post and it makes a whole lot more sense than mine.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

The spring doesn't keep the tire on the road, the weight of the Jeep does.
The spring cushions between the wheel and the frame.
The shock is resistance to the speed in which the spring compresses or decompresses.
Without the shock, the Jeep body would bounce too much.

Spring and shock work together as a system, so one can't be regarded without the other.

The hardness or softness of a spring, is determined by the spring coefficient. This means that every spring which keeps the same weight at the same height, would have about the same spring coefficient.
Therefore, for the same Jeep and load, there would not be much difference in 'softness'.

Differences can exist below or above the ride height:
Compression beyond the ride height may be harder, or decompression below ride height may be softer, by using dual-rate, or progressive coils, for instance.
They would still have the same softness~hardness near the ride height.

What can change the ride softness, by much more, is the shock.
The shock resists the coil movement, so the body typically moves about 1.5 up/down cycles.
By re-valving, or tuning a tunable a shock, or by choosing a different shock, its' resistance can be changed and the overall softness with it.
If too soft, the bump stops will be hit too often.

Well, 'soft' is more than just a 'term'. Different coil/shock combinations result in very different overall ride hardness or softness.
My suspension isn't unique -- Full Traction 4" lift and Fox shocks -- but with properly re-valved shocks, the Jeep is definitely softer than a similarly loaded stock Jeep.

Shocks that can be tuned by the driver, by turning a knob, are, IMO, the best option.

Great post man

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Jedi

i would choose a coil that goes over a shock...
Old 07-18-2014, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
i would choose a coil that goes over a shock...
Or ORI Struts...
Link -- Self-Leveling Suspension | DP3 Strut » ORIstruts.com
Old 07-18-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi

oris dont have coils....
Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
oris dont have coils....
That was the point...

Quick Reply: If you could choose any coil...