Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

If I lift a 2 door Rubi, and use NO swaybars

Old 05-26-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I lift a 2 door Rubi, and use NO swaybars

Is that okay.

Thinking of say Rusty's lift, and installing 35 inch tall tires.
Hear of swaybar limits etc.

Can I just not put any in at all?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

That doesn't sound very safe... On or off-road... It is a stability thing, if you ditch the rear, you should be ok, as long as you don't get into any off-camber situations.... But be very careful.....
Old 05-26-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by The_Captain
That doesn't sound very safe... On or off-road... It is a stability thing, if you ditch the rear, you should be ok, as long as you don't get into any off-camber situations.... But be very careful.....
Okay thanks.

Seemed many had quick disconnects for them, so wondered why not just leave them out.
But you answered my question.....thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 PM
JK Freak

I would say just the opposite. I would never run without a rear sway bar. I like keeping my rear end under control. Plus, disconnecting the rear sway bar doesn't even help in off-road situations because you lose so much stabliity.

As for the front, I drove a rental Jeep with the front sway bar permanently disco'd (it was broken), and I didn't notice any difference from stock. I wouldn't drive it like that at highway speed, but for putting around in Moab it seemed okay.

Check out this thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/no-rear-sway-bar-analysis-37547/
Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKrazed
My swaybar in my Rubicon 2 door was broken for a couple of weeks, The stability of the vehicle was very compromised. I would NOT recommend removing either the front or the rear, get some quick disconnects.
X2, except my swaybar never broke. I just know that if you run without that swaybar, the jeep is going to be very unstable while driving on the road. I would not recommend that at ALLLLL!!!!!!!!! If you do i would recommend a new roll cage, and a 5 point harness because going around a slight turn at 40+ will probably put the jeep on the side.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

I dont have a swaybar in the front and my Jeep drives fine.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive driven one time on a highway for about 25 miles with the front disconnected.... It felt very different, felt like an old boat... one thing I noticed entering and exiting parking lots that have driveway skirts, is the Jeep felt very smooth..

I personally wouldnt drive on a highway disconnected again. there is no way it can be as safe as being connected and if you were ever in an accident that involved injury or death, im sure you could be held liable for not having an anti-swaybar connected or it being modified
Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to drive RubyDoo for 3 weeks with out her front sway bar connected due to it breaking. It was REALLY wierd when doing highway on or off ramps or trying to take a sharp corner. The wheels would go the way they were pointed and the body would go the other till it caught up.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

I was talking with an old time off-roader at Moab who told me th e first thing he does with a new 4x4 is remove the front sway bars. He said it doesn't take long to get used to it. I drove for a week there with them disconnected at speeds of up to 65 and it felt okay. The only thing I thought was that it could get dicey if I had to make some evasive maneuvers. Of course I was also stupidly driving at about 18 psi in the tires too. We're only talking front here. I would leave the rears on for sure.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi

I don't know why anyone would disconnect the rear I read that it only gives 1" more flex.

Quick Reply: If I lift a 2 door Rubi, and use NO swaybars