Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

IAT sensor mods????

Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAT sensor mods????

Has anyone tried the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor mods off ebay. It says it gives 5-10 mpg more with a certain resistor plugged into the IAT sensor after it has been disconnected from air intake tube. Does anyone know about this? I just want to know if its safe before I try it.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't waste your time and money, I'm a sucker to try this stuff (I am a Research and Development Analyst at SpiritAerosystems) I can't help it, it's my nature to see if something works or not myself before making any statements. It is designed to fool your computer about the intake air temp, if it would do anything at all it would be when it is hot outside. I tried the mileage one and the horsepower one and though I did not put it on the dyno, seat of the pants was a negative for power and mpg did not improve, in fact it went down. I call "JUNK".
Jim
Old 02-26-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

I just put it in and my computer is already showing 3-4 mpg better. I just want to know if it will hurt my jk if I keep running with it in. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Have you tried calculating your mileage manually to see if you are actually getting more miles per gallon?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

The 5 to 10 mpg is bogus. If the thing makes the PCM think its colder air the PCM will add more fuel. This will use more gas.

If the thing makes the PCM think the air is hotter (thinner), the PCM will limit fuel a bit. This will make the engine lean. Possibly this could give better fuel ecomony, but at the cost of higher combustion chamber temps, increased NOx emissions, and possible ping.

There is "no room" for air fuel mods to a modern fuel injection engine without going rich. Rich wastes gas, but can make slightly more power, or the perception of power. It can support small pumping efficiency increases, but usually at the cost of increased noise.

The mpg indicator on the dash seems to take a rolling window of fuel economy averages. It absolutely stinks compared to the ones in my other vehicles. On a recent weekend the screen said 19mpg, but a calculation after a fill up said 15.1mpg. It could be me, but when I did this test a few times last year on my truck it was dead on every time.

Quick Reply: IAT sensor mods????